AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purhcased a Samsung 61" and there are some issues around blurred pictures, particularily sports, [ie hockey games]. I have satelite. It's hard to believe based on their technology but it is far worse than my previous TV, [Song 57" HD]. I had managed to make some adjustements in their menu section that made it very watchable, but Sansung doesn't have as many options for the user.

Has anyone run into this same problem and there some adjustments that you can make?

Also, sometimes the faces of people and/or their hair are block coloured so there is no definition in that section. On HD signal I don't have this problem.

Your help and suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Highithigh
I have just purhcased a Samsung 61" ...
To get help you need to provide more detailed information.

When was your set manufactured?

What do you have connected to it?

What kind of connections are you using?

Give exact details because we can't see your setup and there are a lot of different ways to do things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When was your set manufactured?

Sticker on the back says Nov 2003

What do you have connected to it?

Statelite [Bell ExpressVu] Model 6020 HD receiver [Motorola].

What kind of connections are you using?

Component [Monster Cable] plus optical digital for 5.1.

Since I wrote, I went back to the store [Future Shop, which is the same as Best Buy] and checked out their floor model - 50". It had exactly the same issues. We tuned to a soccer game and it was almost unwatchable, partly due to the incoming feed from BBC, but still far worse than on a standard TV [I have another Sony set] on analog cable. Same issues with faces and hair, as well as hockey highlights. I can't believe I am the only one with this problem, as it is very obvious and many people the buy big screen want it for sports.

Any help you can give would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Quote:

Is that Dish or DirecTV? Does it have a DVI output. What resolution is it outputting?

I assume you are connected to either Component Two or Three.

Since I wrote, I went back to the store [Future Shop, which is the same as Best Buy] ...
Best Buy in our area has the worst source material with the possible exception of Sears.

I can't offer you an answer to your problem because I don't own any equipment similar to yours.

From your statement that "On HD signal I don't have this problem." I'm assuming that you are talking about SD programming.

You might try S-Video for SD programs. Your DLP set may be showing you problems in the source that were covered up by a softer CRT based image.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm assuming you purchased a 61" DLP set. Do some searching for DLP tweaks and clay faces. This may help you reslove your problem.

The blurryness is partly the signal, I've found that CBC hockey has pretty bad signal quality. Sportsnet is a little better. The set reporduces exactly what comes in. Bad signal in, bad picture. Thats the problem when you buy a set thats so accurate. Again do some searching, there are ways to minimize the problems.

European soccer has some of the worst signals that I have ever seen. It looks like it comes from highly compressed satilte signals, which are futher compressed by Bell. Soccer didn't even look good on my 27".

There are solutions to most of your issues.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, mguisado, thank you for your comments. Yes it is a DLP Sammy 61" I purchased. I am considering teaking it through the service menu [since the set has very limited options overwise], but am still trying to determine how I might do that [I have hit some threads that give suggestions and how to get it, but ......].

htwaits, thanks also for your reply.

Is that Dish or DirecTV? Does it have a DVI output. What resolution is it outputting?

Bell is the Canadian version of DirectTV. As far as resolution, from what I know and have read, it is far less than they claim due to compression but it is reasonable and digital.

I assume you are connected to either Component Two or Three.

Yes, component 2

Since I wrote, I went back to the store [Future Shop, which is the same as Best Buy] ...

You might try S-Video for SD programs. Your DLP set may be showing you problems in the source that were covered up by a softer CRT based image.

One of the suggestions I have is to use svideo for the non-HD stations, or those areas causing problems. The though here is that the TV is trying to up-convert the signal which might be causing the problem, ie thorugh the component connection. My HD statelite received has a switch to have either component or RCA/svideo and which ever way it is switched, it cuts of the other output, so I am going to try that as a solution.

I appreciate your suggestions.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Quote:
Bell is the Canadian version of DirectTV. As far as resolution, from what I know and have read, it is far less than they claim due to compression but it is reasonable and digital.
I was referring to a setting on your STB. The DirecTV STB that I have a little experience with lets you select 1080i or 720p for all output. Most people here with Samsung DLP sets just configure their DirecTV STBs to output 720p.

Also, these boxes will output S_Video simultaneously with component or DVI output. That way you only have to change the input selection on the TV to switch between HD and SD inputs.

Of course any input that isn't already 720p has to be converted to 720p by the Samsung DLP set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I think we are saying the same thing, except my version for Sat. is only one or the other, but through my receiver it effectly will work the same since if I go to SD then there will be nothing feeding the component. I will have to switch both the TV, and the output for the receiver for the svideo, but it will still work. Thank god for macros.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.