AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Are there any known issues with Sharpness in Epson 8500UB ? I do see lot of people complaining about red wavy lines....I have not seen such a problem yet. But I have question about sharpness.

My epson seems to have letters that are blurry. Text on the screen is clearly showing it is blurry. I will try one more time trying to focus the projector better. But I am just curious to ask this if there are any known focus issues with Epson 8500UB

Thanks

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
No need for a special thread for this question. I have perfect sharpness with my unit.

The focus should be great on text. Try a test disk to test sharpness.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mind giving me details of the test disk that I can use ?

Also, any screenshots of the sharpness of the letters and images will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Text as from closing credits/subtitltes, etc... can be a poor test as they aren't always recording in the highest quality. How does the text of the menu itself look?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me check the menu Test and Verify. I will post the info shortly.

Thanks Jason

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Not sure if this is your case, but poor convergence can cause blurry white letters. If you have poor convergence, it is hard to get white text to show up crisply because you don't have red, green, and blue right on top of each other. Red, green, or blue text should still be sharp though.

I have 1080P images loaded on my PS3 specifically to dial in my projectors focus based on a text image. www.pbase.com/jackcnd/1080p_tests I think that link should get you to some images that are great to check out your projector. I use the text image (white and green letters). Not sure you have a source like the PS3 to display static images with though. I simply downloaded the 1080P pictures, and burned them to a disk and loaded them on the PS3. I use the images regularly to check focus.

Dan

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stereomandan: Thanks a lot for posting these pictures. This will be of great help to folks like me who are newbies in HT world. Thanks again

I will test it this coming weekend

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jason: I verified using the menu of the projector. It was blurry. But I did try focusing it with the projctor menu on. It did fix the issue. Now the letters are sharp....I dont know any comparision to say it is really really sharp or not. But for my eyes they are looking sharp now.

I will use the test images pointed by stereomandan to test the projector this coming weekend.

Thanks a lot Jason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts