AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I finally got my HTPC hooked up to my Sony RPTV. Everything's great except for the blurry text. I did some research and it appears that I need to get 1:1 pixel mapping to happen. However, more research also leads me to believe that this is impossible through the HDMI port. Is this true? Has anyone with this TV been successful in getting sharp, clear text from an HTPC? I'm willing to burn a few hours tinkering with powerstrip if someone can confirm that it is possible to get the results by doing so.

I'm using a Geforce 6600 card also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
1366 x 768 is it's native res. Have you tried that? I don't know if it'll accept it, just try.

Troy

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema /forum/post/0

1366 x 768 is it's native res.

No, that's its "display resolution." Its "native resolution" is 1280x720p (spec sheet ). (Difference is allowance for overscan?) It accepts 480i/p, 720p and 1080i signals. nVidia drivers allow you to select any of these. Then tweak with manual overscan adjustment (in driver, not TV).

Anyway, I believe there's a thread around here on topic: 1:1 pixel mapping on A10s. Perhaps it's good for A20s, as well. I don't recall whether it focused on HDMI or VGA input (which has a video/text switch).

Edit: Here's a thread on Powerstrip and A10s. (It's not the one I had in mind, which used only the drivers.)

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I think that spec sheet is misleading. If it displays everything at 1366x768 that means it's wxga and that is it's native res. Why it would list 720p as native on a wxga display is beyond me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If it can only take 720p input as the closest alternative then it's always scaling the image and that would suck, you won't get 1:1 and it won't ever look perfectly right.

It would have to take wxga to get 1:1.

Troy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, the powerstrip timing settings in that post reference using the VGA port on the A10. The A20's only have an HDMI port, which is why I started a new post. I'm sure i'm not the only one with A20 tv with an HTPC. Someone must have found a way to get sharp, clear text on this TV.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
HDMI can only run at standard resolutions, such as 480i, 720p, etc. which means you cannot match your screens native resolution regardless of what you do if you are connecting via HDMI.

To fix your blurry text, adjust the sharpness on the screen down. That is all.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeorwned /forum/post/0

HDMI can only run at standard resolutions, such as 480i, 720p, etc. which means you cannot match your screens native resolution regardless of what you do if you are connecting via HDMI.

This is just not true. Modern drivers from both nVidia and ATI are perfectly capable of outputting all sorts of resolutions. You just need to select them from the respective control panel. You can even roll your own custom timings without Powerstrip. Btw, my PC correctly identifies my set as "Sony TV" whether I connect through the HDMI or VGA ports and offers "1280x720p HDTV," among other choices.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually the breakout cable fixed the blurry text problem, but replaced it with an even more annoying flickering problem. ARGH! And the picture seems to be sharper with the HDMI cable so I'm back to that. Fortunately, the upconverting video looks amazing and that's all I really care about. I would still love to find a resolution to this problem however.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.