AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I've got five RG-6 cables that are 25-30 feet long running from where my HTPC will reside to my projector. They are all currently terminated with F-type connectors at both ends. The HTPC card is a Radeon 7200, the projector is a G90, and I've picked up a used Extron 108 Plus to push/condition the signal at the HTPC end. Both the 108 Plus and the G90 use BNC connectors.

My question is this: Will good F-type to BNC adapters (which I have) be OK to use here? In other words, should I replace the F-type with soldered BNC connectors? Will there be any noticable signal and/or performance differences between the two? TIA

·
Registered
982 Posts
That will work just fine. As a tweak down the road, you may want to replace those f-type connectors with BNC, especially since you have a G90.

Chris

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pardon my ignorance, but is it the BNC adapters that set the 75 ohm impendance level on the cable? Would the adapter-to-F connection change that?

·
Registered
181 Posts
It will work, assuming you use good quality adapters that maintain the 75 ohm level. On the other hand, it's a much cleaner solution to replace the F connectors with very good quality BNC's. They are crimped on, not soldered. A good source is www.markertek.com for Canare connectors model BCP-C77A. You do need to borrow the appropriate strip and crimp tools to get things right. See instructions here

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the HTPC at the side of the couch, which is underneath the projector, so the video cables are nice and short. The mouse is on top of the HTPC which is fine and handy to get to.

Then I have 25 foot or so S/PDID coax cable from the HTPC to the Yamaha receiver.

Keep the high bandwidth analog video cables short and the (relatively) low bandwidth digital cable can be longer without causing any degradation.

Just my $0.02 worth :)

Keith

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Ken,

I don't know if you really need the Extron but what you are suggesting overall should work fine.

-Mr. Wigggles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.