AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 25 foot vga to 5 bnc cable. To amplify the signal from my HTPC to my 701s projector ,I also bought an Extron RGB 109 Computer Interface. Since the Extron has a bnc output to the projector I don't need the HD15 VGA end. My question is, can I cut the HD15 end and replace it with BNC plugs?:confused: Will I degrade the cable?

Thanks,

Rey

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
My question is, can I cut the HD15 end and replace it with BNC plugs?
Yep.

Quote:
Will I degrade the cable?
Likely, unless you are meticulous about your work. Why not just exchange for the correct cable?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not an option to return the cable. Got it from ebay.

How about connecting my present cable to a female HD15 VGA to bnc?

Rey

·
Registered
271 Posts
The HD15 connector is not known for reliable 75 ohm transfer characteristic - I'd avoid it especially at that length. In any case, look for ringing or rolled-off highs in the image wherever you land.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Who manufactured the cable? I have purchased used Straight Wire cables on ebay and had them re-terminated. It doesn't make sense to have to buy a new cable when all you need are different connectors. I will only buy cable from companies that offer me support like re-terminations.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Another option is to sell your 25' cable and buy a new "used" one.

Matter of fact, I have an 8M Better Cables Ultra, bnc to bnc (made from Canare cabling) which you get a real good deal on. E-mail or private message me if interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.