AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kicking my butt here so I am going to ask the pro's before i even make an attempt and spend money I dont need to waist after being drained by the feds yesterday. I have a Toshiba TW40x81 which has the 2 component inputs in the back. I have several items which take component cables so I bought an extron switch. I believe its called the SW-4AR or something like that. I found that it takes BNC instead of component. So I ran to radioshack and bought a bunch of Phono to BNC plugs yesterday (didn't open them yet so I can still return them). Then it hits me today that most of the devices I have (DTC-100, Dish 6000, HTPC) have VGA connectors on them, and I can use that instead.

Here is where my questions lies. The Extron only has 4 pins. Red, green, blue, and synch. My Toshiba has 3 obviously. Just the Red green and blue. If I use the VGA ports on my devices to output to the extron using 4 pin VGA cables, and DON'T use the synch pin when going to my TV (since there is no option to) will I have issues?

Thanx a bunch

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
VGA and component are different animals. Despite the fact that component cables are coded with red, green and blue markings, they actually carry signals labeled Y, Pb and Pr. The Y has luminence information, and Pb and Pr have color difference information. VGA is RGBHV, where the R carries red, G carries green and B carries blue (H and V are sync).

You can purchase converters (containing active electronics) to convert between VGA and component, but you can't do it with plain cables.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,639 Posts
If the Toshiba only has component video input (3 pins), which I think is the case, than you can not input RGBHV (5 pins, which you refer to as VGA) to it. It will not work.

The Dish 6000 can output either RGBHV or component video, so you're fine there.

The RCA DTV-100 will require one of the RCA, Key Digital, or Audio Authority outboard RGBHV to component video convertors, which have list prices of $130 and can be bought for around $100. Do a search, as I think one of these works better for the Toshiba than the other two.

Then, you can run both into the Extron SW4AR and run the output into the Toshiba. Use the three RGB channels, not Sync, for the three component video channels. The SW4AR will work fine in three channel mode for component video.

BNC is only a connector type. You can find both RGBHV and component video on BNC connectors or RCA phono plug connectors.

RGBHV and component video are different kinds of video signal and are not compatible with each other, even though they can both carry an HDTV signal. It is relatively easy to convert RGBHV to component video, but not the other way around.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 04-17-2001).]

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K. Thanx for the information. I started going crazy thinking about it all. Glad I decided to ask here before I gave it all a shot. I would have had to spen 100 on cables . . . actually this really doesn't save me anything cause now I need another audio authority vga-component convertor. I took it off of my dtc-100 after i switched to dish, and connected it to my new HTPC. I might start using the DTC-100 though just for the OTA stuff because the dish 6000 only has one, and I need 2.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.