AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a generalization for whether to get BNC or RCA inputs on the blades for the Panny 50PHD6UY?

I intend to use the following setup:

Input 1 - DVI (I will use PVR921, Dishnet rcvr here)

Input 2 - S-Video/Composite

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The display comes with the "blades" for inputs 2 and 3 already filled. Input 2 is component with 3 BNC connectors, and input 3 is EITHER s-video OR composite again with BNC connector. Since new blades cost 100's of dollars, and RCA to BNC adapters cost a few dollars, I can't see any reason to make a switch. Also, many custom cable companies will put either RCA or BNC on the ends of your cables at no extra cost, so if you are getting custom cables there is absolutely no reason to switch the blades.

SMK

·
Registered
85 Posts
The S-video/component connection for that TV sucks, IMO. I'm using the S-vid input for the on screen menu for my Proceed AVP, and that's it. Anything else plugged in here and the PQ is simply indecent.

Generally, BNC is considered a slightly better connection than RCA. Generally, too, unless your DVD player is manufactured by one of the higher-end boutique firms (in which case they sometimes include BNC outs), it will only come with RCA component outs, which seem to be a lot more popular a feature.

That said, I'd go with BNC, if possible, (and have). And assuming your DVD player is like mine, it will only have the RCA option; thus, to hookup, you can either run component video cables that have RCA's at both ends, and also get rat shack RCA--->BNC adapters ($5.00 per adapter) to hook up to the TV, or you can get component video cables that are RCA at one end (DVD) and BNC at the other(TV).

Whatever way you go, though, as between RCA and BNC, I doubt it will make that much difference in terms of PQ. So my answer is: either, or, with the nod to BNC if you can make it work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The BNC connector gives a very tight connection with no chance of it wiggling lose. I use a StraightWire cable with RCA on one end and BNC on the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.