AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law is interested in putting a stereo into his boat. Has anyone had any luck finding decent components and speakers for a boat? He said he would like to find something for under $500, but I don't know if he'll be able to get anything decent with that budget. Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Tell him to check out the poly-planar line. I have heard positive feedback on these and considering upgrading my marine speakers to this line.

·
Registered
703 Posts
A couple of questions that might help generate more responses:

Do these have to be weatherproof or will they be in an enclosed cabin?

Is this going to be running off a 12V or 120 volt circuit?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike--

Not sure about the circuit voltage, but the speakers need to be weatherproof. He should be set as far as weatherproofing the reciever, though. I went to CC w/ him today and listened to some weather treated Polks that sounded pretty good w/ a variety of inexpensive receivers.

·
Registered
876 Posts
$500 for components AND marine grade speakers? Nope, won't happen. The best he'll get is speakers that need to be replaced tearly and inferior electronics. It's simply not an application where cheap applies.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Tell him to try West Marine. They have stores all over the US and will do mail order internationally.

A search of West Marine on the net will bring results.

It is my recollection that they carry a selection of Marine Speakers.

He should stick to Marine components as the environment is very humid and may cause problems to traditional components.

Marine connectors are of value too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the replies--I'll pass on the info to him and see what he thinks (and if he'd be willing to bump his budget up a bit!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, but in December I installed a Pioneer 7400 DEH Rcvr with MP3 and four Pioneer Marine TS165 speakers for less than $500. I also used the pioneer weather proof cover for the radio. If you are interested, I can tell you where on the internet I purchased them.

Poly-planar was not to my liking. It got down to Pioneer and Clarion and because of $$$ the Pioneer won out. The bass response turned out to be fine for my needs, but my plan was to add one or two Clarion 10 inch subwoofers and the Clarion marine 4 channel amp if needed.

Will the radio/speakers be exposed to fresh or salt water ??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Red jet--

I'd be very interested to find out where you picked up your system. It will be primarily exposed to brackish water. Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Red jet,

PP was not to your liking? Which model speaker did you audition?

Do you guy's listen to your stereo's under way, or at idle?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I put in a pansonic CD/MP3 player with 4 alpine marine speakers last year and it sounds great. I was concerned about skipping with all the bouncing around with waves in the boat but has not been a problem. Almost never skips. Everyone who rides in the boat comments on the stereo. I highly recommend the MP3 player as you can put over 75 songs a CD. Great for a day at the lake. Price was right at $500 also. For that amount of money you can have a real nice system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Strike,

I can't tell you which model PP I auditioned but it was in a display with Clarion, alpine and others at US Boats. The pp sound was muffled and had to crank the gain up just to hear them. There were two models don't remember which ones but they were both 6-1/2 inch and one model was in a self-contained enclosure. I'm in the DFW area and really only see fresh water. PP is not a big seller here and consequently are very limited in selection and dealerships. With so many other marine speaker to select from why bother with something that turned me off up front and difficult to audition. PP in a varity of models to hear before buying are probably more available in Florida.

However, before buying PP look at marine products by Bazooka, Clarion, Pioneer, Alpine, etc. Clarion even makes a marine component speaker system. If you add an amp to the system, you could even use regular outdoor speakers (8 ohms). I've seen them on ski towers.

With the boat at speed I have to crankup the volume to hear it over the 350 and the wind.

I purchased the Pioneer equipment from thezeb.com

DEH P7400 MP3, MR 165 speakers (4), and marine weather enclosure.

To keep this all in perspective you have to remember.

WHEN IT COMES TO TOYS, MONEY IS NO OBJECT.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I fish offshore so the elements are a big concern. Serious power is also a concern since some trips out can be 40 miles plus, and having the tunes not just audible but, hearing the music with full range despite the engines and the sea's is a challenge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like the only way to get anywhere close to what you want is with a headset. Should be pretty easy to install. May also be able to make it wireless.

I fish lakes. So with my trolling motor running, there is minimal noise and the pioneer system sounds great.

·
Registered
553 Posts
((((((((I fish offshore so the elements are a big concern. Serious power is also a concern since some trips out can be 40 miles plus, and having the tunes not just audible but, hearing the music with full range despite the engines and the sea's is a challenge.))))))))))

Empty beer cans,and screaming Tiagras make alot of noise also..I also did a search and found a set of pyles (cant remember the #) that were rated at 93dbat1watt.They were to big to fit under my Ttop though.I think they were $89..Anything under 2ft causes my cd player to skip Sirius Satellite raido will be my next upgrade..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.