Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bob,

I don't know what's happened to the feed, but it certainly looks much sharper to me today than it has during the rest of the season. Nice job!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Glad you mentioned the sharper picture because I thought it looked great but have only seen one other and didn't know if it was just me or not. Imagine being able to see every football game like this.

Hugh

·
Registered
938 Posts
I see a few sparklies, too, but overall I think the picture is of excellent quality. Then again, this game is not the priority for me; Michigan State-Michigan is. Why couldn't CBS have the Big Ten?! Or why couldn't ABC do HD?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Yes, I agree. Much better than previous weeks. There is still some pixellation on fast pans, but overall a BIG improvement over the last two weeks.

Guys, whatever you did to that encoder today, leave it alone! Don't even think about touching it for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
add me to the list. much better.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Picture is sharper, but I still see the edges (the non-4:3 ratio areas) as being slightly out of focus. Any one else?

Also, the halftime show needs to be in HD! What would it cost CBS to add the 3-4 cameras needed in the studio for this?

And last, seriously, stop stretching the SD feeds, and get an HD camera in the blimp!

Chris

·
Registered
599 Posts
by now, you'd think the production staff would have gone out there and bought another HD camera for the blimp just for us!

And you'd think the Saturn blimp would gain from the exposure - paint "Now bringing Hi-Def TV to CBS" along the side of the gondola/cabin area.

my wife watched the game with me today and I was telling her that we AVS guys have been discussing this stuff for weeks with Bob.

one comment from her was this: the image from the blimp didn't necc. look distorted (stretched), but definitely looks low-res (cause it is not a HD camera).

QUESTION: Is the blimp camera and the other non-HD field cameras capable of 16x9 ratios? ... or are ALL non-HD cameras 4x3 ratios?

great job today CBS!!! - the YELLOW helmets look so awesome and bright and crisp - it just seems that there are some cameramen who have trouble focusing on a player while he's just completed a run and is walking back to the huddle - seems the operator is not that skilled at focusing a moving target.

cheerio!

jaymer...

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Tuned in because of all the criticisms--and screen images here--from previous games. I was delighted to see such seemingly perfect images today. Suspect that's about as good as I'm going to get from my Philips 64PH9905 via NYC's Time Warner Cable, CBS's full 19.3-Mbps local station feed, and my SA2000HD cable box. Looked very hard for signs of edge enhancement others have complained about, but couldn't see a trace of it. Only what appears to be true 1920X1080. Appears to be a mix of NTSC and 1080i replays, with the latter more frequently used. HDTV blimp overviews would be nice, but cameras must still be too costly. -- John

·
Registered
599 Posts
john's reply got me thinking...

i'm using a htpc/access dtv card going to my LT150 at 720p.

using the RGB (aka pc monitor cable) method to connect, I cannot select 1080i as an output option on ADTV because it displays for about a second then loses signal.

this is the normal way i've viewed all CBS content this year.

i believe I can change my video cable and go out a different way to the LT150 and that would allow me to set ADTV to 1080i.

QUESTION:

Since the LT150 is still the same XSGA resolution, am I going to notice any PQ difference if I modify my setup to output 1080i vs. my current 720p?

thx

·
Registered
275 Posts
Overall this was a superb presentation. Picture was almost perfect. It was a distinct improvement over last week's game.

Maybe one of these weeks we'll get a good game to match the gleaming HD images.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I thought it was a great game!! I also thought it was a great picture.

Geaux Tigers!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I too thought the picture much great this week. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agreed, I also had an excellent picture. Finally got OTA HD working in Baltimore. I guess my apartment is backhole for HD signals. :p

Thank god I bought a Samsung SIR-T150, otherwise I couldn't get anything.

BTW: The Trek 50 is completly useless, got a much better signal with the RS double bow tie w/ Ratshack in line amp.

·
Registered
651 Posts
yep - it does look as if the 1/4" layer of vaseline was cleaned from the right side of the lense.

It was pretty amazing to see righthand side of the screen to be out of focus so much, even though the whole frame was supposed to be in the focus plane ... It is fixed now.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I thought the picture on today's game was nothing short of stunning. It was the best video quality I have ever seen in my home. Thank you CBS!

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Glad to hear you alll thought the picture was better than usual today.

Hey Bob, the picture in Denver today was, well, you can guess, we didn't see it. KCNC is still not on the air at even low power. Can you explain to us why???

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi All

Thanks for the comments. I did not get to see the game. I'll forward the comments to engineering and CBS Sports

Bob

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JMartinko
Glad to hear you alll thought the picture was better than usual today.

Hey Bob, the picture in Denver today was, well, you can guess, we didn't see it. KCNC is still not on the air at even low power. Can you explain to us why???
Off the top of my head.... I know they were waiting for some RF parts for the transmitter. Not sure what else.

Bob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.