AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let them know that mixing in stretched 4:3 NTSC material in with the High Definition material is a very bad idea. I can't believe that this is still going on! It seems like half of the shots we get are 4:3 that has been converted to 16:9, and it is ruining the overall appeal of these broadcasts. I think that these broadcasts are very important to the electronic retailers across the nation, that can show this during a Saturday afternoon on their show floors to people who are new to HDTV. If I didn't know anything about HDTV, and I saw this, I would think that HDTV was a big waste of money.

The fact that they show a good amount of NTSC isn't the problem. The problem is that they don't show it in a 4:3 frame, with the CBS wallpaper on the sides. That is the way it should be done. With them mixing it in, as stretched 4:3, it is doing a major disservice to the proliferation of HDTV.

Right now, I would have to say that the college football on CBS is one step forward, and three steps back.

This is a very serious issue, and it should be brought to the producers attention. Joe Sixpack at Sears doesn't know that you are mixing stretched 4:3 NTSC with HDTV. He just thinks that HDTV isn't all it's cracked up to be.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
you know I use to think this was not a big deal.

but you are correct it does leave a bad impression.

I saw people looking at the game two or three weeks ago and commenting about how sometimes the picture was good and others it was dull and fat; that was how they put it. They clearly thought this was a failure of hdtv.

I explained but only one of them understood.

-tony

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The difference between HD.Net and CBS is just down right sick. I didn't have HD when MNF was producing football, but based on the demo loop that Direct TV use to air, they had video comparable to HDNet, right? CBS just seems to have too many SD cameras mixed in to a supposedly HD broadcast.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I agree totally!

In fact, this past week's coverage was even worse - they even did the highlights from other games stretched. They had been doing these look-ins in a 4:3 box. The 4:3 box is totally tolerable.

In fact, the 4:3 box helps sell HDTV's merits by contrasting the smallish picture. The stretched 4:3->16:9 in no way enhances the picture or enjoyment.

Benefit of a SD 4:3 box: Correct aspect ratio and proportions.

Cost of a SD 4:3 box: None

Benefit of stretched 4:3->16:9: Takes up the whole picture

Costs of stretched 4:3-16:9: Looks terrible (out of focus, people are stretched, colors get smeared).

Don't stretch 4:3 to 16:9! It looks awful to anyone and everyone.:mad:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with you all, Does CBS have a 16:9 monitor available to the producer so he can see just how terrible a job he is doing? Please Think CBS.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SUTTONHT
I agree with you all, Does CBS have a 16:9 monitor available to the producer so he can see just how terrible a job he is doing? Please Think CBS.
the producer must be brainless if he thinks this type of crap is what we want. fire the producer and get one that actually cares.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
It seems either CBS isn't taking this very serious. Or they are over their heads (I doubt that); but maybe HDnet hired all the talent, and experienced people.

-tony

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, I certainly agree that there is room for improvement. However, to say "1 step forward, 3 steps" back seems like an exageration. Are some people get the wrong idea from the stretched 4:3, probably - but I doubt that it is any worse than the massive incompetence of the combined sales forces of Best Buy/Circuit City/Sears/etc.

I appreciate the HD broadcasts, and yes I wish that all shots were HD, but I will take any HDTV football that I can get. Some day, when (if?) all the games are on in HD, then I would critique the direction/production. Right now, we are like thirsty people in an HDTV desert - I'll take water even if I'd rather have Evian.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
sd is ok just show it as 4:3 to make it less cofusing to people seeing the games.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i saw a guy writing a check at sears for his new 55" mits, then cbs put the 4:3 junk stretched to 16:9 and he refused to buy it. oh well, just keep doing it CBS.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't want to be misunderstood. I have no problem with the NTSC being mixed in, but it must be done in a 4:3 frame with either black bars on the sides or the CBS wallpaper that they use during the half time show.

It is actually painfull to watch these broadcasts now. It's almost worse that just watching a NTSC broadcast.

Bob, I hope you read this and respond. Maybe you could forward this thread to the producer for the HD college football broadcasts.

One more thing Bob, we love what CBS is doing for HDTV, and we don't want to be disrespectfull, but this is a "black eye" for the proliferation of HD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.