AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently constructed a 100" BOC screen out of 1x3s. There are two vertical braces spaced evenly apart to make the screen more rigid.

When I use my projector, I can see the shadow of the braces when picture has the right lighting.

I read a lot of threads on BOC screen construction on this forum and it seemed like most people were using braces, so I don't understand how people get around this problem.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npeters /forum/post/15527622

I recently constructed a 100" BOC screen out of 1x3s. There are two vertical braces spaced evenly apart to make the screen more rigid.

When I use my projector, I can see the shadow of the braces when picture has the right lighting.

I read a lot of threads on BOC screen construction on this forum and it seemed like most people were using braces, so I don't understand how people get around this problem.

Is you screen flush against the wall? Sometimes a little gap between the screen and the wall will let light get behind the screen and illuminate the frame. Either that or the BOC you have is a cheaper variety and isn't totally opaque.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The screen is hanging from hooks on the wall at the top, and I used rubber bumpers at the bottom to keep the frame parallel with the wall. So no, it is not flush with the wall.

How do you recommend the screen be flush with the wall?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npeters /forum/post/15527953

The screen is hanging from hooks on the wall at the top, and I used rubber bumpers at the bottom to keep the frame parallel with the wall. So no, it is not flush with the wall.

How do you recommend the screen be flush with the wall?

Wood moulding at Home Depot or Lowes should work. Attach to the side of your screen border making sure it butts up against your screen frame.

This might also work:

http://www.jnkproducts.com/basemoldg.htm

·
Registered
604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npeters /forum/post/15527622

I recently constructed a 100" BOC screen out of 1x3s.

You didn't use true BOC then. RocLon triple pass BOC (the $4.95/ yard stuff) is COMPLETELY opaque and DOES NOT PASS ANY LIGHT.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Are the vertical braces touching the back of the screen material, even very lightly? If so, they will be visible. Space them back a bit if necessary.

Also agree that there should be no light transmission through good quality BOC.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npeters /forum/post/15567216

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Roclon...VVviewprod.htm

I purchased that black out cloth. There is definitely light transmission through the fabric. I'm going to try and redo the frame without any braces, because even putting the screen flat against the wall results in shadows.

That's not blackout cloth. This is:

http://www.roc-lon.com/products/2pass_blackout.html#

And you will need braces across the middle of the frame otherwise it will bow and you won't be able to tension it adequately to remove the wrinkles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, that was just a guess on my part - I bought it at the actual store. The receipt is not very specific on the product, but the prices match.

When I say there is light transmission, I mean I see a reversed image on the opposite side of the screen. I do not believe any light actually passes through to the wall though.

I might try with that fabric you recommend. For now, this appears to be working okay.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npeters /forum/post/15576099

Well, that was just a guess on my part - I bought it at the actual store. The receipt is not very specific on the product, but the prices match.

When I say there is light transmission, I mean I see a reversed image on the opposite side of the screen. I do not believe any light actually passes through to the wall though.

I might try with that fabric you recommend. For now, this appears to be working okay.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I mean I see a reversed image on the opposite side of the screen." Are you saying you can see the image on the other side of the material? If that's the case, some of the image does travel through the fabric except for where the braces are and that's the reason why you see shadows... that's the braces.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have an AT screen and had a problem of seeing the frame as well. I ended up painting my frame flat black and putting black speaker cloth behind the screen material.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts