AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to assemble 4 cinema-style theater seats into a carpeted riser and I want to make sure I use screws or bolts that are not going to ruin or "run" the carpet surrounding the area were the bolts or screws go in.

Can anyone who has done this, give me some advice as to what is the best way to bolt these seats to a riser? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I have nine theater seats in my theater five on the riser, but we did not put them through carpet, instead we attached them to a hardwood strip that is attached to the double 3/4" layered riser top and carpeted up to this strip on the front and back of the strip. We also have Bass shakers mounted vertically to another hardwood strip under the seats within the riser itself.

if you are bolting thru the carpet I would say you would have to use either a hole punch or at least cut an X with a utility knife for each bolt to go through the Hole would be the better choice, those are BIG bolts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks McCall....I actually sent you a PM based on searching thru old threads so you can ignore the PM. My seats did not come with bolts so i was not sure what to use to secure the seats. The riser has two 3/4 inch plywood pieces. Should I simply use wood screws or should I be using something else? The riser is secured to the floor so I can not access it from underneath.

Thanks for any advice.

·
RETIRED theater builder
37,099 Posts
Use lag bolts, with Hex heads. That way you can tighten with a wrench rather than trying to use a screw driver. I'd get ones that have thread that are at least 1 1/2 inches plus the thickness of the flange at the bottom of the seat. That way you are gripping the entire thickness of the riser.

You will need to drill some pilot holes, but keep them on the small side so that you get a good grip with the bolts. Also put on a washer.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I agree about the lag bolts , the big ones LOL but WHY did you secure the riser to the floor? risers should be free floating not attached to either walls or floors.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall /forum/post/0

I agree about the lag bolts , the big ones LOL but WHY did you secure the riser to the floor? risers should be free floating not attached to either walls or floors.

My HT configuration is first row with three 3 Berkline 088s, 2nd row riser with 4 cinema-style seats and a magahony wood bar surface with barstools for a third row. The bar sits on a frame built off the back of the riser. The riser was attached to the floor to give added stability to the entire structure.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Hm, is it at least filled with insulation? the risers I mean.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep...insulation-filled. Any loss from the riser not being free floating is more than offset by the bar counter top at the rear of the theater. It looks incrediably sharp and I will be very glad it is there come football season

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.