AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at building a new sub for my bonus room. The room isn't that big (maybe 175-200 sqft and small A frame ceiling) and I don't need it to go too low in response. I am looking at 3 drivers in the 10" range....RSS265HF, RSS265HO, and SS Rp-i10. The box will be vented and I would like to keep it 1.5 - 2 cuft. This will be used for a combination of music/movie use.

Is there anyone that can tell me which one models the best? I would do it myself but I am currently out of the country for the next couple of months and can not download Win ISD or Unibox due to server restrictions. A friend is going to build it for me while I am away.

thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Forget about multiples unless your willing to go bigger, do multiple cabinets, or fork over a lot of money for drivers and uber amps that can handle decent output in tiny enclosures, this isn't a car, your stuff needs room. I have a design for an RL-i10 ported, it can do pretty good output from 30Hz and up, about 110dB, thats gonna eat up a lot power to get the cone moving to its full potential, if you don't want to get an EP amp, I'd look into a dayton sub to be paired with a behringer A500, I wouldn't do a plate amp, at this size you need all the space you can get in a sub, 2 cubes is REALLY hard to do, its the biggest reason why all those subs at Best Buy suck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Army,

I am only looking at one of the three subs. Looking at something with good respone down to 28-30hz and I should get nice room gain since the room is small and closed off. I don't need it to be all that strong...just something for effect.

How much power for the Rp-i10?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Well, it was designed to be super small, 0.9 cubic feet internal, 12wx15hx16d external, tuned to 33Hz with a slot port. It can take all the power it wants until the voice coil blows, but then the airspeed just gets insane. For the most practical uses, I'd power it with 500 watts, but that isn't taking advantage of its excursion. The most cost effective design would prolly be a RSS265Hf in a 1.75 cube design with a 1.5x10" slot port, 32" long with a bend in it, tuned to 27Hz, it does real nicely powered with an A500, (400-500watts). External dimensions would prolly be around 12Wx20Hx20D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that is what I was looking for. Only one more question...it looks like the A500 is only stable @ 8 ohms bridged mono. Are people pushing them harder?

Am I correct that I would want a vented design for the group delay to match up and blend in with my small speakers that have PRs on them?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Can you model your little speakers? Either way you still want as little group delay as possible, if it becomes a problem, one must change the design, but in general, the group delay isn't intentionally manipulated, its just a nice thing to be able to see so you know if it becomes a problem.

As for the impedance, the RSS265HO is a pretty easy one to drive impedance wise, the lowest point it dips to is 4.9ohms in this enclosure, about 90% of the passband is spent at 6ohms or above and over half of it is at 8ohms or above. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I drove a pair of 2ohm speakers hard in free air (1.5ohms) for a long time with a cheap onkyo HTIB receiver, the A500 is worlds above that, even bridged.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I see nothing wrong with using a plate amp and could find it advantageous due to the included single PEQ band.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts