AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have decided to convert a bonus room in our home to our new home theater. I have spent the last 11 months reading the various threads and posts on this incredible forum and have tried to learn as much as I could from the many talented people here.

I began work on the theater in mid-April and have dedicated countless hours over various nights and weekends. While tiresome, time-consuming, and occasionally frustrating -- I have thoroughly enjoyed the process. I will actually hate to see the project come to an end -- which (if all goes well) should be in about a month or so.

I will attempt to post my progress to this point and update with work leading to the finish. I welcome any suggestions and input.

Thanks to all of you for inspiring me to take on this project. I can only hope that my theater turns out half as nice as many of the ones on here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Screen area (front).

Have some tape to mark off where the false screen wall will go.

Back wall / side

Backwall

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shot of partially filled Middle Atlantic Slim-5 rack for equipment. This is not where it will go -- but was too anxious to see how it would look with some equipment in it.

Removed one of the doors to closet -- framed, insulated and drywalled (as riser will cover this space.

Ran smurf tube through attic/ceiling space top carry speaker and subwoofer wiring from where equipment rack will be to behind screen wall.

Door going into Bonus Room / Theater

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is new cutout in knee wall for beverage center. Have cut opening to size (plus 1/2 inch on each side and 4 inches behind) to allow for flush custom fit. Once fabric panels (like GPowers) are installed along sides -- it should result in a flush/perfect fit. Also installed dedicated power outlet in back.

Beverage center space after framing, wiring for outlet and insulation.

Drywalled -- and painted black.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This room had been pre-wired by the builder to have speakers in wall and ceiling. Removed electrical boxes in wall and covered with drywall. Sanded smooth and readied for paint. Ceiling will be painted flat black.

Also had to remove ceiling light fixture and a ceiling fan -- and repair drywall in those locations too.

Added extra support for projector mount.

Projector location with wiring installed. Drywalled.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are progress shots of building the riser.

Dimensions are roughly 7 feet deep -- by 11 feet wide. Used 2x10 lumber with 2 sheets of OSB and roofing felt. Riser also sits on top of rubber feet which raised the riser about a half inch or so -- which may be over kill as I built the riser on top of the padding that was underneath the carpet.

Extended outlet from wall through riser to front of riser to allow for future electrical connection for butt kickers, etc on front row of seating.

Steps were installed on each side.

Filled with 2 layers of insulation

Covered in OSB

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have been looking at Palliser seating -- specifically Coda (also called Camio on some sites) as well as Flashback. I have read very limited reviews here on Palliser seating. Has anyone had any experience with them in general and/or these seats in particular?

·
Registered
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg1969 /forum/post/17031182

Have been looking at Palliser seating -- specifically Coda (also called Camio on some sites) as well as Flashback. I have read very limited reviews here on Palliser seating. Has anyone had any experience with them in general and/or these seats in particular?

I had a Palliser sectional sofa. It was average or just above average. No particular problems but after 5 years of or so daily use it was looking (and felt) worn. I was able to restuff some of the cushions to plump it back so that was a plus. I also have a Palliser bedroom suite that we have had for more than 10 years and it still seems OK.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Looking good. Nice use of the space. Looking forward to more progress pics. Are you doing anything for sound deadening or isolation for the rest of the house? What size of screen are you looking at going to?

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi RTROSE

Thanks for your comments. Will try to post more of the progress pics tonight.

I am currently working on building the fabric frames -- similar to what GPOWERS -(and some others) have done. Inside those frames I am putting 1" Linacoustic for the first 4 feet up the wall surrounding the whole room. I also have put in bass traps int he corners behind the screen wall -- and one of the corners near the front of the room (that juts out into the room given the roofline). I am hopeful that this will be sufficient to give a good effect. Am open to any ideas and suggestions if you have them.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I think you are confusing room isolation with room deadening.

Isolating the theater from the rest of the house prevents sound transmission from the HT to the rest of the house (ie: double drywall, green glue, clips, staggered studs, sealing holes, etc.).

Treating the room involves what you are doing (703 on the walls, bass traps, etc).

Looks like you're off to a good start on a pre-existing finished space.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That is some good progress you are making. Looks to be a nice space for you.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Is that a marantz 8003 I spot. That is some nice gear you have.. What speakers and PJ are you looking at?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Johnsteph10:

Sorry for the confusion -- I realized after reading your post that I didnt answer all of your question (I read the deadening part and was only thinking of the in-room acoustics and didnt think/answer the quetion on isolation).

I really havent taken any measures on isolation -- as it is just my wife and I in the house. I think on my next build -- which I would liek to do from scratch (framing, etc.) I will for sure go that route. Starting from scratch would also make other things so much easier (wiring, etc.) compared to a retrofit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi whiskey alpha

Thanks for your comments. Yes I have the Marantz AV8003 and MM8003 -- also added the BD8002 for Blu-ray. The sad thing is that I have had them for about 7 months and outside of testing them to make sure they power up etc. have really not done anything with them.

Speaker wise I went with KEF. I have a pair of IQ9s for the front, IQ6C for the center channel, IQ5s for the rear, and IQ3s for the sides. I also picked up a Hsu Research subwoofer VTF-3 MK2.

If I could just get to the point of being able to hook everything up --- life would be great (at least I hope).

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Tell us what screen and PJ you are thinking about. Are you going scope?

Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg1969 /forum/post/17031182

You will find the majority of people here will use Berkline. If you are interested in a quote check out Roman (RSH). He is great to work with and I think they are in the middle of a power buy right now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Whiskey Aplpa

Sorry -- forgot to respond about the screen and projector.

I have a DaLite Cinema Contour High Contrast Cinema Vision screen -- 100". I also purchased a Mitsubishi HC6500 projector. In testing the projector I was very pleased with the image -- incredibly clear, great color, and very sharp. Cant wait to watch a full movie on it.

No anamorphic lens -- maybe for a future upgrade. Would be spectacular.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts