AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers (I already have a good sub)and I'm down to these two models (unless there are suggestions under $250/pr)

I like warm/airy sounding speakers, but very detailed as well, I've not had a chance to listen to the Boston Acoustics, but I did listen to the Energy's at Best Buy. They were good but it wasn't a good listening environment and don't want to judge them solely on that. I use to have Athena B1's and I liked the sound and tone of them, so I'm looking for similar or better performance. I made the mistake of downgrading to "lifestyle" speakers and couldn't get use to the thin sound with no midrange.

I also briefly considered the Def Tech Studio Mon 350, but have seen good reviews but also ones that say they sound harsh..

So......Energy or Boston Acoustics ?

·
Registered
29,065 Posts
of those two I'd pick the Boston. The CB-10 is a smaller bookshelf speaker with 5.25" woofer.

The Boston A26 has a 6.5" woofer and is not as bright sounding as the CB-10.

I've owned the Athena B1, listened to the CB-10 many times and I think the Athena is a better speaker but I wouldn't call either speaker "warm".

Is this just going to be a 2.1 setup? Or are you planning to expand to 3.1 or 5.1 later?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1500975/bookshelf-comparison-energy-cb-10-or-boston-acoustics-a26#post_23980976

of those two I'd pick the Boston. The CB-10 is a smaller bookshelf speaker with 5.25" woofer.

The Boston A26 has a 6.5" woofer and is not as bright sounding as the CB-10.

I've owned the Athena B1, listened to the CB-10 many times and I think the Athena is a better speaker but I wouldn't call either speaker "warm".

Is this just going to be a 2.1 setup? Or are you planning to expand to 3.1 or 5.1 later?

It's the start of a 5.1 system, so I was leaning towards the A25 or 26 as fronts and a23's for center and rears.

The Cambridge audio looks like a contender, but can't find mountable rears, the s20 is too deep to mount

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gmash

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with the Boston Acoustics A26, in the end it was between these and the Cambridge Audio s30......I have a large room that needs BIG sound (controlled and accurate of course..lol)..and was afraid of getting buyers remorse for going with a smaller driver. (I just finished unloading a set of Mirage Nanosats that I couldn't warm up to with music)...Before those I always had towers and large bookshelves. Hopefully I can get back that low/midrange I was missing before with these..

For a minute I considered the Def Tech 350's on sale from new egg...I was afraid of some harsh treble datigue I was reading about, but they also have some good reviews, and it could be that they need to be broken in more...

I forgot to mention that I'll be using them with my 12 inch sub

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow !!!.....I've had them for about 5 hours and all I can say is wow !!..lol...I'm still breaking them in and playing them with all kinds of music.

So far I'm running them as small and crossing them over @60hz and it sounds great. It's a very "neutral" speaker for lack of a better word. The highs are clear and not overly bright and a very tight midrange. The imaging is incredible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts