AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question - I think? How many of you use bookshelf speakers in your HT and for music, and why (because of size). I've got a new HTD Level II system with four bookshelf speakers. The sound is pretty dang good for TV, DVD, etc. However, for music, my 18 year old Cerwin Vega's sound MUCH better - the Cer. Vega's get much louder (at the same volume level on the receiver) and the sound is much fuller and has more "presence."

I use it mostly for HT, but I still want my music to sound good. Should I get towers for my front speakers? What kind? It seems like most everyone has bookshelf speakers for fronts in the HT - is this right? Is it best to have bookshelf fronts for HT?

·
Registered
859 Posts
no.. the choice between the towers and bookshelves for the fronts is totally yours. that and size of the room. But keep in mind that if you set everything to small, your a/v receiver's gonna take every frequency that're 80hz and below to the subs. And make your fronts 'worthless' in terms of being able to go low.

for music... i have a pair of bookshelves. Because I don't have enough real estate in my room to fit a pair of towers. But I will eventually have a sub, though.

for HT.. I am thinking of grabbing a 'smaller tower' for the fronts.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I use my Ascend CBM-170's for music a lot...along with the Hsu subwoofer, I think they sound great.

You didn't mention if you were using a sub or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I'm actually using the HTD Level III sub right now. However, I've got an SVS 25-31pci sub being delivered today (can't wait to get home).

However, I don't really think the sub is going to make the bookshelf speakers sound much better for music. Don't get me wrong the HTD bookshelf speakers sound ok, but when I switch to my old Cerwin Vega's the difference is easily noticeable. Now that I've heard the difference, I'm not a happy camper. BTW, I need my Cer. Vegas for a different room, and they sit to low to the ground to be used as fronts. Maybe its just that the HTD Level II's aren't that great. They seem to "use up" a lot of power - the Cer. Vegas are much louder at same volume level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't believe it..... I've been tracking the SVS, today is the day, and then... delivery failed!!! OH NO. Apparently it was shipped for signature only - and no one is home because I HAVE TO WORK. I'm trying to reach UPS to see if I can pick it up, or leave it at my door tomorrow.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smoothman2
Simple question - I think? How many of you use bookshelf speakers in your HT and for music, and why (because of size). I've got a new HTD Level II system with four bookshelf speakers. The sound is pretty dang good for TV, DVD, etc. However, for music, my 18 year old Cerwin Vega's sound MUCH better - the Cer. Vega's get much louder (at the same volume level on the receiver) and the sound is much fuller and has more "presence."

I use it mostly for HT, but I still want my music to sound good. Should I get towers for my front speakers? What kind? It seems like most everyone has bookshelf speakers for fronts in the HT - is this right? Is it best to have bookshelf fronts for HT?
Technically, your bookshelf speakers probably sound WAY better than the Cerwins. C-Vs are pretty colored by comparison to most. But, low level of coloration will often seem like less "presence" which is generall the "presence" of coloration. I firmly believe that small speakers should be sealed (as in, not ported) which helps the midrange quality and also prevents the port from wreaking havoc with your subwoofer (a necessity). The subwoofer should have a driver 1.5 to 2 times the diameter of the bookshelf speaker. C-Vs are VERY effecient which means that, yes, they play much louder for the same amount of volume. Simply turn up the receiver louder and you'll get the same volume. I looked up your bookshelf speakers and they look pretty decent, though you can't guage quality by looks. NHT specialize in high-end sub/sat design and have proven that small speakers with a sub can sound just as good or better than a big tower. I think Triad, Totem and others are doing well with this also.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Smoothman2,

How did the SVS sound with the HTD 2's? That is the exact type of set-up that I am thinking about getting, I just want to know if the SVS overpowers the HTD 2's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The SVS does not overpower the HTD's, although it definitely could it not properly calibrated. The HTD Level 2 is a good set up, sounds great for HT, and sound pretty good for music. When I originally started out on the HT thing, I wasn't to concern about music quality. But now that I've got all this stuff, I'm getting a little more interested in have a good quality system for music also. I'll be returning the HTD in a week or so (before 30 days is up). Two reasons. 1 - I order the red cherry veneer and it just doesn't match my HT room, which is finishing in very nice pine tunge and grove wood. 2 I'm not to happy with using the from bookshelf speakers for mains (for music). I like the HTD, and I may end up ordering the HTD Level 3 towers, along with the level 2 bookshelves for surrounds and level 2 center channel (all in black this time). Unfortunately, their website seems to indicate that their out of level 3's until July.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Smoothman2,

Let us know how you like those HTD Level 3 towers. They are probably the leading candidate for me right now - if only available in maple, I'd be off the fence!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.