19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current Setup is as follows:

42 inch panasonic HDTV

ps3

xbox360

Pioneer D814-s

ED a2-300

My roomsize is small right now 11'6" x 15' 5", the floor is tile and the walls are cinder block for the most part so I know its not exactly a dream for acoustics but its what I have so I need to just deal with it for now (its a dorm room)...eventually I'll be moving it to a room most likely larger so I'd rather buy speakers that will be on the louder end for the size room that it is

My uses of the system at roughly 75% music 25%movies/tv....I'd like to get speakers that will be good especially for hip hop and rap...I don't necessarily need to spend a ton of money on audiophile quality but I don't want muddy speakers since I will use them for HT also....my budget is right around 200 probably but I could do as high as 300 if there seem to be better options that are worth it

·
Registered
29,117 Posts
How many bookshelf speakers are you looking for with this $200-300? Just two?

Hip hop and rap use a lot of bass, so you'd be better off with bookshelf speakers and a small subwoofer. Bookshelf speakers by themselves won't give you a whole lot of bass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as i previously stated I already bought an Elemental Designs Subwoofer, its got a 12inch driver and rated at 200W...so now i'm looking for some relatively powerful bookshelf speakers to balance all the bass that the sub will produce

·
Registered
29,117 Posts
Sorry I missed the subwoofer part. EDesign has a bookshelf speaker set for $200. That might suit your needs.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=95

for $200 you've got quite a few speakers to choose from.

Infinity Beta 20 in cherry
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ity-beta-20-ch

Infinity Primus 152 and 162
http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/InfinityPrimus.html

Polk TSI100
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Polk Monitor 40 (new lower price!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290010

I'd go for the Monitor 40, P162 or Beta 20 if you don't mind the cherry color.

All well under your price range!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those all sound like great choices for a sub200$ budget...but since I got a bargain on a receiver I think I'd like to at least explore the next step up as far as speakers, i'd say that i'm looking anywhere from 250-300 now...and maybe slightly over 300 if the speakers seem to be worth it

How do paradigm speakers compare to the infinity ones?

·
Registered
163 Posts
From one college student to another, get cheap speakers for now. Save that money for the beer that will end up being placed, spilt, and cause drunk friends that will mess up anything nice you own. When you are in an apartment you can solve this problem by putting your nice stuff on a rolling TV stand and locking it your bedroom.

·
Registered
750 Posts
From another college student to another, let me say that some of the speakers that afrogt recommended, although at "budget" prices, are not budget speakers. The Infinity Beta 20s sold for $200 each ($400 per pair) when they came out. The reason they are at "budget" prices now is because they are discontinued, but they are still regarded as very good speakers. I bought a pair for a secondary system, and I am very happy with their performance for rock and other "popular" music (I listen to mostly classical). You can find them on eBay as well in black, if you don't want cherry.

I'll also recommend the speakers I use primarily, the ELT525Ms. They're a small set, but with a sub, they are absolutely phenomenal and very detailed. Because of their size, though, they're really only suitable for small-medium sized rooms. http://www.**********//index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=37 (replace the **** with av123 )

For reference, my college setup is: a pair of AV123 ELT525Ms, Harman Kardon AVR-247, TSC ASW-10 Subwoofer, 46" Sceptre LCD, and a PS3.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
29,117 Posts
The only reason I didn't mention the ELT 525 is that the sensitivity is 83db so it takes a little more power to drive them. The Pioneer 814 isn't equal to the HK 247 in power reserves. But the price of $176 shipped in cherry for the ELT is a huge bargain!

And yes, the Betas used to go for $399 pair so they are not budget speakers. And the Polk Monitor 40s were $300/pr. I'm just pointing out clearance speakers because you get more bang for you buck! I know what it was like to be poor in college. Save as much money as possible.

I also agree that with dorm room speakers, they're gonna get abused. People just don't care about other peoples property. The Primus 162 has a heavy duty cabinet and they go for $140 each at Vanns.com. Theaudiovideosource.com just happens to have great price!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was looking at the Beta 20s and it seems like they might be the best choice..they were listed on ebay for 150 for a pair which seems like a good price to me I just have a few concerns...

1. I want to make sure they'll put out enough output to balance out my sub because if needed i would front extra money to get more powerful speakers

2. Do they need a lot of power from the receiver or will they perform with my pioneer receiver

3. Will they be good for HT in addition to music as i plan on using them for HT now but eventually using them for HT more in the future over music and add satellite speakers and potentially much later down the road floor speakers..but most likely adding satellites and using these as front speakers

One of my friends who is a borderline audiophile recommended Axiom m3's, Usher s-520, or aperion speakers...how do the beta 20's compare? is it worth the extra 150-200 or so to buy either the axiom or ushers?

·
Registered
29,117 Posts
Axiom M3's would be in the same class as the Betas. I've read that the Ushers are very good and same with the Aperion's but never heard either of those two.

The Beta has a sensitivity rating of 90db so your Pioneer should have no problem driving them. They'll be fine with your sub. Your receiver has individual channel levels so you can balance out the Betas with the sub, plus the sub has its own volume control too.

The beta 20 is not a wimpy speaker. Its got a 6.5 inch woofer and weighs 20lbs. Its a very solid well built speaker which is good for dorm life. I highly doubt you'll have any complaints.

You are listening to rap and hip-hop, not classical or jazz which puts a higher premium on speaker accuracy.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
PSB Alpha 1's great budget speaker and great reviews all over the place on this product. Don't own a pair but I will eventually.... Dynaudio are my favorite but not for the budget minded.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts