AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

First of all, thanks for a great site! Just reading I've learned quite a bit.

I've got a few questions and hopeful some of you can put me in the right direction. I'm looking for bookshelf speakers or possibly surround sound speakers in the neighborhood of $500 used or new.

Here's my situation:

The family room is 12X20 with an 8' ceiling; plus an additional 10 feet that is a pass-through to go outside. The 12X20 is the watching/listening area and the room is in the back of the house. The speakers will be placed on stands at roughly 8 to 10 feet apart and will be placed against the wall. I will be using the system primarily for music all kinds and some movies, but roughly 80/20. I have an Oykyo TX-sr604 that will eventually be upgraded to an SR607/807 in the future. Also, I have a pretty big Infinity subwoofer.

Also, I have two small boys, 2 and 6 so something with grills and I can not "crank it", although being a former musician I would love too. And, I would love a set of speakers that perform amazingly in low to medium volumes, that do not require to be pushed. And something crystal clear and warm. Again, if surround sound is the ticket, I'm fine with that; otherwise, aesthetics are very important if I'm getting bookshelf (ie woodgrain). I have yet to see aesthetically pleasing surround sound speakers, other than orbs which I can not afford.

First of all, do I really need a rear port speaker since they will be against the wall and I have a subwoofer?

Anyway, I've already started looking at a few possibilities, and here's my list:

1. Infinity Primus P162 - great price great reviews my (1st choice)

2. Polk LSi7 - A bit expensive compared to the Infinity but great reviews - Love these!

3. Focal Chorus 707 used - Great prices/great looking. But too much speaker?

4. Energy RC-10 - Great reviews, great used prices. Maybe too much speaker?

5. B&W: DM601/602/685 - again, great used prices and beautiful looking speaker

6. Energy Classics for my Surround sound choice. Great Price but enough speaker for size room?

That's it, as far as I can think of. Eventually, whatever I buy may be eventually turned into a 5.1 but for now I'm just looking at a 2.1 or 5.1 depending on what you guys have to say.

Thank you all for you help and I'm all ears!

Anthony

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
Definitely rule out rear-ported designs. They need some room off the wall to breathe.

I have a pair of P162s and am quite satisfied. Ten feet apart will break the center image, I'm thinking, but that's proabbly true for most comparably sized speakers, and it doesn't sound like you are designing the room around the sweet spot.

I tend to agree that some of your other options are "too much speaker," only because this is not a dedicated listening room and you have small children. One great thing about the Primus speakers is that they are very flexible placement-wise. I would be tempted by the Energy RC-10s, however!

As for surrounds, you really don't need big speakers. Check out the Primus P142s. They are a little bigger than the Classics, but they are easily wall mountable with a threaded swivel-ball bracket.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
amicusterrae

Thanks so much for your post and response. Since the rear ported designed speakers are out of the question, that really narrows down the possibilities quite a bit; which considering all the great choices out there, I'm very happy to do. Not to mention I already have an Infinity Subwoofer, so it will soon be in good company. So I'm thinking about this set up:

Infinity Primus P162 in the front

Infinity PC250 center

and

Energy RC-mini in the rear

I could do the P142's but I would just really prefer something a bit more aesthetically pleasing in a natural wood casing. The placement of the rear speakers will be very visable throught the rest of the house. Or if something else comes to mind becasue these RC-mini's are expensive?

Thanks again!

Anthony

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seagul: Wow, what a beauty! The NHT Classic Two, now in the running and is neck and neck with the P162. And it comes is white! Very nice! Are these two compatible comparisons? The Infinity is about half the price, but well within my bugdet to go over. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
The NHT is a beautiful and great sounding speaker. The p162 is an ugly duckling comparatively speaking. Its just big and bulky. Its sounds pretty good though.

I've never heard both speakers in the same setting.

Why not the RC-10 in rosenut or cherry if you want attractive speakers? They come with foam port plugs if you need to put them too close to the wall.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Or some Home Theater Direct bookshelf speakers. They come in 3 different colors.
http://www.htd.com/cabinet-speakers/...shelf-Speakers

Add a center
http://www.htd.com/cabinet-speakers/...hannel-Speaker

and two smaller surrounds. Still out the door with 5 speakers around $500.
http://www.htd.com/cabinet-speakers/...ompact-speaker

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
I had a lot of respect for NHT when Ken Kantor was designing the speakers. I have no experience with any of their newer designs, though I've only heard postive things. FYI, though, the company is at least temporarily shut down (they've done this before). That's why all of the remaining stock is on sale everywhere. It's hard to believe someone won't try and resurrect the brand, but it's a historically bad economy.

The last plug I'll make (in this thread!) for Infinity, is to recommend that you look into there engineering prowess: ( http://seanolive.blogspot.com/ ) (Sean Olive works at Harman). Due to economies of scale, the Primus speakers are an incredible value. To really surpass them, you're into the Revel line. You're not getting a very attractive speaker however, and it sounds like this may be an understandable deal breaker.

I personally would not buy a rear ported speaker and use plugs unless the speaker had built in equalization. (Then again, I'd buy center channel with equalization, if I could afford it!). A rear ported speaker is not optimized to be a sealed speaker. If that is what you need, buy a sealed (or front ported design). Anyway, those RC Minis are highly regarded.

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
I had a lot of respect for NHT when Ken Kantor was designing the speakers. I have no experience with any of their newer designs, though I've only heard postive things. FYI, though, the company is at least temporarily shut down (they've done this before). That's why all of the remaining stock is on sale everywhere. It's hard to believe someone won't try and resurrect the brand, but it's a historically bad economy.

Aren't they back now?
http://nhthifi.com/current/nht-2point0.html

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys:

Thank you all for your input and advise. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Unfortunetly, there few places if any around Miami that carry any of these speakers for me to listen too myself. And Sound Advise recently closed its doors, so that leaves me with Best Buy. So I'm basiclly dependent purely on spec sheets and whatever I can find on the net. Having this site is heaven sent. I think for now, I'm going to stick with either the Infinity P162, NHT Classic Two or possibly the Energy RC-10, however the RC-10 opens a whole new can of worms with the back port holes; but it is a fantastic speaker and a beauty; and by considering the RC-mini's would be a nice match. I'm just wondering if having a rear port speaker would be better for listening to music in low volumes? Then again, I do have a subwoofer so that could be pointless. Anyway, lots to think about, but all excellent choices.

Afrogt: I'm totally new to this. I will look into the HTD's you recommended. I like the color options as well. Thank you!

Vanmeter, likewise. Thank you. Will check out the SCS-01.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If I were you I would go into google and type in a couple of these speakers and see if anyone has done any side by side comparisons. Ill throw another couple of options out there also. Unlike the NHT's I have never heard these just positive reviews but I do think that you can get good performance and good looks at this price point. I am big on the good looks because to me speakers are furniture that impress guest and that's half the fun.

Don't judge by the picture on the website because they only show gloss white even though they clearly say walnut and gloss black but these are some really neat speakers that I have heard sound very good. Ill post a link to what they look like in a setup a guy on the forum has.

http://avliquidator.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=9147
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=monitor

People also like these but again I have never heard them. The advantage with these though is they have them at ultimate electronics if you have one of those near you.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

·
Registered
154 Posts
I really liked the NHTs. Nice speaker. I also liked the Mirage Omni's mentioned in the post above. (In fact, I'll even be using the Mirage Nano Prestige which are one step down as my surrounds.)

That being said I'll throw in my recommendation for the Klipsch WB 14: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/wb-14-overview/

Listened to the Omnis and WB14 side by side (blind test). For me the Klipsch presented a fuller and deeper soundstage. We were testing some jazz stuff Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Some Tower of Power and Herbie Hancock Cantaloupe Island also Clapton Unplugged. I felt on the Jazz stuff the the WB14s had a clear edge. Clapton Unplugged they were both very nice.

Home Theater when listening to Kill Bill / Logan's Run t IMHO the WB 14s separated themselves and were significantly fuller. Listening to Roy Orbison Black and White Night I also really felt they had "that warm thing" going.

I admit as an ex brass player I may be biased and have a thing for the Klipsch sound. But hope this helps.

Couple of other things since I've got the young kid/aesthetics thing going on too:

- The wood finishes on both speakers are very nice. The Klipsch finishes are even nicer than some of my furniture. Not that I hope to ever try this but it appeared I might even be able to polish out a moderate scratch or two. "No. junior, don't throw the Wii at Daddy's stereo..."

- For grins we moved the Omnis and WB-14s into odd positions in the listening room to try to simulate difficult speaker placements in an imperfect room. The Mirage were heads and tails better when we did this. That's why I'm using them for my surrounds.

- The Mirage have some really flexible mounting options. I'll be going with a ceiling mount. Maybe you might even be able to do a wall mount with them. I hated the idea of speakers on stands with young kids running around.

Again, hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You should be able to find a BestBuy with a speaker demoing area in back, and they usually carry some of the Klipsch reference speakers. I've got a pair of the Klipsch RB-61s, which are front firing (I didn't want rear-firing in a dorm room with someone's room next door, and not much floor space to keep them away from the wall) and I love them for every day use, going from my big collection of FLAC music (mostly jazz, some steely dan and others thrown in, some great house music mixes) to playing games through my PC or PS3, to blu-ray watching, they're great multi-purpose speakers, and I would highly recommend them.

As far as buying, I bought online, as they were really expensive at BestBuy, and I don't have that kind of cash.

ALSO! Check Craigslist for South FL. I searched last night, and the had SO many klipsch speakers on there that it was surprising. Tons of stuff to be found, and all for VERY reasonable prices!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I can vouch for the B&W 685 - a bookshelf speaker that sounds like a tower speaker and has great imaging and clarity. They sound much more natural and real then Klipsch although to be fair I never had Klipsch in-home and only heard them at a store. And although I use mine as rears for surround I take them down and play around with them as front mains every now and then for 2-channel music listening and I'm blown away by them every time! Mate them up with a good sub and call it a day....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll vouch for the B&Ws as well. I've heard them in a HT setup a friend has. Nice full sound and I thought a little more bottom than the WB-14s. But what can I say? I like horns and wow the Klipsch did a nice job there.

Never got a chance to do a side by side with them or the NHTs so who knows. In the end when I was picking I started with the WB14s but ended up with WF-35 floor standers.

Lots of good choices out there in this price range. Guess Anthony's going to have a fun time picking.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My only concern with the 685 are the rear firing ports, as mentioned. Since the back of these speakers will be places a few inches away from the wall, that may be too close. I could plug the port, but like a another poseter said, these speakers are not designed to be heard this way. Very good point.

Thank you all for wonderful picks, all within a reasonable price range too.

Reefwreack - didn't know Bestbuy carried Klipsch, so my sonic journey will begin there. Hopefully, some of the other contenders will also be there, like the Infinity. Thanks for the tip!

LiRob - the Klipsch WB 14 has a pretty wild design! Me like! Again, hope to see those at bestbuy as well. Thank you! Very helpful post indeedy!

Thanks again everyone. I will make sure to post my findings, once I get a chance to go to Best Buy which is another story entirely. You parents out there know what I mean ;-). If not this week, the following.

One more question: Can anyone leed me to a post in the forum that discribes audio language? ie soundscape, soundstage, upfront, present, etc.....

Regrds,

Anthony

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here some shots of the room in question and one of the little critters:

http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/IMG_2555.jpg
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/IMG_2556.jpg
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/IMG_2558.jpg
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/IMG_2559.jpg

The speakers would be placed where they are now, but moved up; one up to the first tear of the bookshelf and the other above the little table. Where they are now, but on top, rather than on the floor. I know, blasphemy!

THanks again!!!!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMX /forum/post/16924734

My only concern with the 685 are the rear firing ports, as mentioned. Since the back of these speakers will be places a few inches away from the wall, that may be too close.

What is this talk about rear ports on the 685? They have 1 front port, and I didn't see any rear ports. The high end store specifically recommended them for me to put right up to the back of a bookcase against a wall because of the front port. I think you are confusing them with the smaller 686, which is rear port - why I can't use them.

The Energy RC-10s are rear ported, which is why I can't consider them.

I did A/B compare the 685 with the NHT Absolute Zero (the Twos and Threes weren't available) and the NHTs were very dull compared to the 685. I also compared with a smaller Klipsch (4.5" woofer) in the same room, and surprisingly, these were the first Klipsch's I've heard that didn't have the horribly discolored horn tweeter sound (which reminds me of a megaphone - these had a cloverleaf baffle behind the tweeter instead of the usual accentuated horn baffle). They were less clear and detailed than the 685 as well as having less bass extension.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts