AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 796 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Funny, I could see myself listening to both speakers as you did, hearing the same things you did...and not thinking twice about choosing the Evo over the JBL! :D

Because I seldom listen to rock, never to metal/thrash, but mostly simple-composition jazz, classical, electro-tango, and voice/acoustic music.

And I never listen to music at +75db unless I'm at the gym using earbuds.

I've had a similar experience with the 1/3 as expensive Diamond 10.1 --- they excel in just those genres. Wonder how they'd compare to the Evos in a head to head, and how the Evos would compare to the Emotiva B1s I used to own which have a similar but smaller AMT.
Sounds like you should order a pair of the 4.2s to compare to your BMRs... (not even joking here).

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Crutchfield actually has a little sale on the Evos...$100 off a pair of the 4.2 and 4.1 ... but my worry is, if I tried them, I might decide to sell off my BMRs, which would be a big logistical PITA, esp. under these pandemic conditions! :D
The perfect solution would be to send them to me o power them with Anthem electronics. Problem solved. :eek::D

·
Registered
17,022 Posts
Sounds like you should order a pair of the 4.2s to compare to your BMRs... (not even joking here).
The 4.2 would be the logical comparison to the BMRs but I have often wondered whether I actually prefer the cohesiveness of a 2 way design, because I heard something different with the Ascend Sierra 2 that I've never quite heard with the BMRs.

And just now, I came across a review of the 4.2 that mentions how some people in the reviewer's social circle who heard both the 4.2 and 4.1 actually preferred the 4.1 even though the 4.2 definitely had superior separation and airiness:
https://7review.com/wharfedale-evo4-2-review/

Wish Wharfedale made an Evo 4.15 which would offer a 6.5" woofer instead of the 5" one on the 4.1!

My wife would kill me if two pairs of speakers suddenly arrived on our doorstep, lol. The BMRs were supposed to be my "forever" speakers. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #665
Congrats on finding a winner that works the best for you.
If you're at all worried, some velcro tape works well. I have my Paradigm 15Bs just sitting on top of my stands, with no extra weight.
Since these are probably going to be surrounds, the JBL 590s are on sale again, according to Zorba. Three of them for LCR behind an AT screen would be your best bet. That way, you get the best sound across the front. There's a lot to be said about an all-JBL home theatre...

I'd love an all front 590 setup. Can't do a projector. Yet!

Will you be getting the 590's to use as L/R then? Congrats on finding your speaker!

Yes, 590s in the front, 530s for all 4 base surrounds, 520 center. I know the 590s are going to be 530s on steroids but not so sure about the 520. Its on sale cheap so no big deal if it doesn't do what I want it to do.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #666
...the JBL 590s are on sale again, according to Zorba.

They are all on sale, refurbs for more than 50% off. I would have been an idiot to not order them. Interestingly enough the Wharfdales are also on sale so I would have won either way!

And just now, I came across a review of the 4.2 that mentions how some people in the reviewer's social circle who heard both the 4.2 and 4.1 actually preferred the 4.1 even though the 4.2 definitely had superior separation and airiness:

I read that one, too, and a few others I came across also suggested the 4.1 as a preference. I'll say that the 4.1 is awesome, the sound stage width, my gosh, unworldly. Come on, order them and try them out!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
So your going JBL 590's and 530 surrounds Gary?...guess I'm up next for a pair of 590 for my living room 2 channel......and my current 530's I'll use on my computer desk.Sounds like a plan..

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The 4.2 would be the logical comparison to the BMRs but I have often wondered whether I actually prefer the cohesiveness of a 2 way design, because I heard something different with the Ascend Sierra 2 that I've never quite heard with the BMRs.

Wish Wharfedale made an Evo 4.15 which would offer a 6.5" woofer instead of the 5" one on the 4.1!

My wife would kill me if two pairs of speakers suddenly arrived on our doorstep, lol. The BMRs were supposed to be my "forever" speakers. :rolleyes:
Let me know if you want to sell the bmr's.. I missed out on a pair of sierra 2s locally for $650 but i need my donny check first.. And i'm moving in a few weeks ,pending corona virus issues.. But I'm gonna get me sumthin';)

Reactions: Zorba922

·
Registered
474 Posts
What was that "something different" that you heard? I'd be interested to hear, considering I've never had the opportunity to hear the BMR.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #670
So your going JBL 590's and 530 surrounds Gary?...guess I'm up next for a pair of 590 for my living room 2 channel......and my current 530's I'll use on my computer desk.Sounds like a plan..

Yes! The JBL sale is presumably only for this week. They are refurbs but I've never had a problem with an original-manufacturer refurb item. Carries a full warranty with it too. I almost went all 590s but they are just a little too big for me to comfortably fit along with sides. Probably be overkill anyway but there are a LOT of us here who love overkill! (Overkill is a great thrash/metal band, too if anyone is so inclined).

Reactions: josh6113

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Yes! The JBL sale is presumably only for this week. They are refurbs but I've never had a problem with an original-manufacturer refurb item. Carries a full warranty with it too. I almost went all 590s but they are just a little too big for me to comfortably fit along with sides. Probably be overkill anyway but there are a LOT of us here who love overkill! (Overkill is a great thrash/metal band, too if anyone is so inclined).
Sounds awesome...I'll be interested in your opinion on the setup once integrated..

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Reactions: Gary Mertz

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #674
Sounds awesome...I'll be interested in your opinion on the setup once integrated..

Going to take a while to get it all dialed in of course. Carpet on the 4th so I figure I'll have things at least vaguely set up either that evening or the next. I have my old Velodyne DD15 that I'll stick in there while I do the Devastator build. My Integra will have to do for now for a pre/pro (certainly no slouch on it's own) until I can get my hands on a Monoprice HTP-1 (website says June but we'll see). The Integra has Audyessy but I'm not sure I can locate the mic darnit. Its here somewhere and if I can find it that certainly will help speed things up. I do have all of the amps so I'll be set there. I'm really excited to see what the 590s can do with a Bryston 6BST driving them. Should be pretty amazing.

Have to go to my house in PA to get my equipment stands so hopefully the essential travel situation will be lifted sooner than later. I mean, I could probably just go ahead and get them but I'll wait just to be safe. Heck, I've got my equipment on the floor now as it is anyway. Now I'll have towers, stands for the 530s, and a couch!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #675
I bit the bullet and bought the 530s, due in large part to this thread.
Good call, I can't see how you would possibly be disappointed!

Now is the time.. With the current sale
Yes and that goes to everyone on the fence, jump in!
Also the excellent Wharfdale Evos are all on sale at Crutchfield, too so folks who like that type of sound should consider jumping on them too. *cough* @Zorba922 *cough cough* :D

·
Registered
570 Posts
Gentlemen, please refer to post #6 for our final match!
Hi Gary I'm sure everyone appreciates your taking the time to write up (and I mean write) your impressions. One question--you mentioned the Kennedy Center--was that just because it's a well-known venue, or do you live anywhere near it (as I do)? From a technical design standpoint, I'm a little puzzled by your description of the 4.1's sound stage. What you heard usually only occurs when drivers with very broad dispersion are used (or the speakers are out of phase with each other, which I'm assuming didn't happen here unless you were the victim of Murphy's law). The AMT on the 4.1 is actually wider than a typical dome tweeter, and from what I can make out the contouring of the face plate wouldn't seem to promote wide dispersion. The crossover point is 2.9 kHz, which is if anything a bit high for a 5.5" woofer (but only a bit). Under those conditions, I normally wouldn't expect exceptionally broad sound staging. I searched around for measurements of the 4.1 to see if they would throw any light on this puzzle, but I couldn't find any. Has anyone else found any measurements? Thanks again Gary.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Hi Gary I'm sure everyone appreciates your taking the time to write up (and I mean write) your impressions. One question--you mentioned the Kennedy Center--was that just because it's a well-known venue, or do you live anywhere near it (as I do)? From a technical design standpoint, I'm a little puzzled by your description of the 4.1's sound stage. What you heard usually only occurs when drivers with very broad dispersion are used (or the speakers are out of phase with each other, which I'm assuming didn't happen here unless you were the victim of Murphy's law). The AMT on the 4.1 is actually wider than a typical dome tweeter, and from what I can make out the contouring of the face plate wouldn't seem to promote wide dispersion. The crossover point is 2.9 kHz, which is if anything a bit high for a 5.5" woofer (but only a bit). Under those conditions, I normally wouldn't expect exceptionally broad sound staging. I searched around for measurements of the 4.1 to see if they would throw any light on this puzzle, but I couldn't find any. Has anyone else found any measurements? Thanks again Gary.
Dennis, I got a chuckle when you mentioned "Murphy's Law" without irony... lol
If you can't find measurements, there's an easy way to rectify that :eek:

Reactions: josh6113

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
My Integra will have to do for now for a pre/pro (certainly no slouch on it's own) until I can get my hands on a Monoprice HTP-1 (website says June but we'll see).
Will you ever need all 16 channels? Will this AVP even be ready by June? Will it even be stable, unlike other AVPs that use Dirac (cough, cough Emotiva RMC-1)?
You could get an Anthem AVM 60 (11.2 pre/pro) right now for 20% off, and get one of the top room correction programs out there with ARC: https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/#series-6

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bravo @Gary Mertz!! Your journey has been a true joy to follow. You really have a way with words! Glad you found your speakers, and be happy to know you went about things the right way (listening with your own ears). If you lived anywhere close to me I'd have even thrown a few more pairs of speakers your way to compare as well... just what you would have needed, right?

Hears hoping you enjoy your speakers for many years to come, but just know that if (when) you ever fall down that rabbit hole, we'll all be here waiting to hear about that next journey!!!

In all seriousness..... great work. But all be damned if you don't have me considering a pair of 530s to buy, even though I have no reason in hell to buy any more speakers. Damn this hobby!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Funny, I could see myself listening to both speakers as you did, hearing the same things you did...and not thinking twice about choosing the Evo over the JBL! :D

Because I seldom listen to rock, never to metal/thrash, but mostly simple-composition jazz, classical, electro-tango, and voice/acoustic music.

And I never listen to music at +75db unless I'm at the gym using earbuds.

I've had a similar experience with the 1/3 as expensive Diamond 10.1 --- they excel in just those genres. Wonder how they'd compare to the Evos in a head to head, and how the Evos would compare to the Emotiva B1s I used to own which have a similar but smaller AMT.
Crutchfield actually has a little sale on the Evos...$100 off a pair of the 4.2 and 4.1 ... but my worry is, if I tried them, I might decide to sell off my BMRs, which would be a big logistical PITA, esp. under these pandemic conditions! :D
While reading his last matchup I actually thought of you and thought how I could see you choosing the Evo's as well. Even though he didn't exactly call the mids 'buttery', he did say 'milk chocolate', which I would think is quite similar in sounds.

Regarding the BMRs, I'm sure many on here would jump at the chance to buy those off you if you really wanted to sell......but would you? I agree that you really should make that comparison!!

661 - 680 of 796 Posts