AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 796 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Right--you can ship me a pair. Why didn't I think of that.
As an owner of a speaker company I'm sure you can buy a pair and ship back...am I right......give measurements and report back...easy peasy.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
What was that "something different" that you heard? I'd be interested to hear, considering I've never had the opportunity to hear the BMR.
I would describe it as a certain "liquid" or "fluid" quality to the Sierra 2, where all the instruments seemed to effortlessly blend/fuse together creating incredibly unified/cohesive output. Exactly as described in that person's brief comparison of the Evo 4.1 to the 4.2...he wrote that with the 4.2 it still sounded like music was coming out of two very very good speakers, whereas with the 4.1 the music was simply THERE as a cohesive and immersive ocean of sound and you could easily forget there were even speakers in the room. (I'm probably also mixing some of Gary's verbiage that he used to describe the 4.1)

Which one you prefer probably depends on whether your habitual listening mode is "analytical" or "emotional."

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Yes and that goes to everyone on the fence, jump in!
Also the excellent Wharfdale Evos are all on sale at Crutchfield, too so folks who like that type of sound should consider jumping on them too. *cough* @Zorba922 *cough cough* :D
Hahaha, you guys are a pack of devils sitting on my shoulder whispering in my ears!!!

Must...be...strong! :D

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Regarding the BMRs, I'm sure many on here would jump at the chance to buy those off you if you really wanted to sell......but would you?
It would probably require a true "Come to Jesus" experience with one of those Evos.

And knowing me, I wouldn't be able to order just the 4.1, I'd be unable to resist getting the 4.2 as well, "just in case" (facepalm). It's a slippery slope...I could see myself ordering a pair of Revel M16s too, again "just in case." (head-desk)

And the only way my wife *might* let me get away with such a time and space consuming plunge back into the rabbit hole is, if I found a local buyer willing to pay me exactly what I paid for the BMRs. Which is probably quite unlikely.

So the moral of the story is, I should stop reading these damned speaker shootout threads! :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would describe it as a certain "liquid" or "fluid" quality to the Sierra 2, where all the instruments seemed to effortlessly blend/fuse together creating incredibly unified/cohesive output. Exactly as described in that person's brief comparison of the Evo 4.1 to the 4.2...he wrote that with the 4.2 it still sounded like music was coming out of two very very good speakers, whereas with the 4.1 the music was simply THERE as a cohesive and immersive ocean of sound and you could easily forget there were even speakers in the room. (I'm probably also mixing some of Gary's verbiage that he used to describe the 4.1)

Which one you prefer probably depends on whether your habitual listening mode is "analytical" or "emotional."
Speaking as someone who has compared the BMR's with the Sierra 2's many, many times, and under carefully controlled conditions, I would invite anyone who has a pair of the Sierra's to drop by for a comparison. I think you will agree with me about which one sounds like a solid 2-way design and which one disappears in the room and sound least like a loudspeaker. A 2-way isn't inherently more cohesive than a 3 way (assuming both are well engineered). You might find that the 2 way is more immediate in the lower treble, and maybe even more focused on some types of music. That's not really a matter of cohesiveness. That's a mismatch in the dispersion profile of the woofer in its upper range and the much broader dispersion of the tweeter in its lower range. That can bring voices and certain instruments forward, particularly on studio recordings with no natural reverberation. But that will be at the expense of a realistic and open sound stage on better recordings of instruments in a real venue. When people write to me describing their music preferences as hard rock, female studio vocals, and/or heavy metal, I always warn them that the BMR might not be the best choice. Anyhow, you're obviously welcome to your opinion. Let's just say your experience differs from mine.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Will you ever need all 16 channels? Will this AVP even be ready by June? Will it even be stable, unlike other AVPs that use Dirac (cough, cough Emotiva RMC-1)?
You could get an Anthem AVM 60 (11.2 pre/pro) right now for 20% off, and get one of the top room correction programs out there with ARC: https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/#series-6
I would just get a solid pre/pro and then add a miniDSP for Dirac.

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Speaking as someone who has compared the BMR's with the Sierra 2's many, many times, and under carefully controlled conditions, I would invite anyone who has a pair of the Sierra's to drop by for a comparison. I think you will agree with me about which one sounds like a solid 2-way design and which one disappears in the room and sound least like a loudspeaker. A 2-way isn't inherently more cohesive than a 3 way (assuming both are well engineered). You might find that the 2 way is more immediate in the lower treble, and maybe even more focused on some types of music. That's not really a matter of cohesiveness. That's a mismatch in the dispersion profile of the woofer in its upper range and the much broader dispersion of the tweeter in its lower range. That can bring voices and certain instruments forward, particularly on studio recordings with no natural reverberation. But that will be at the expense of a realistic and open sound stage on better recordings of instruments in a real venue. When people write to me describing their music preferences as hard rock, female studio vocals, and/or heavy metal, I always warn them that the BMR might not be the best choice. Anyhow, you're obviously welcome to your opinion. Let's just say your experience differs from mine.
I'm not 100% confident about that opinion, since it was 2 years ago that I heard the S2, and at Ascend HQ...in a heavily treated room (which would be an acoustic nightmare otherwise, since it's a concrete and glass warehouse space) and powered by beefy, expensive-looking separates playing lossless FLAC. In my current room (carpeted but otherwise untreated) and on my low/mid-level Pioneer Elite receiver playing mostly streamed lossy music or the occasional CD, it's quite possible that my perception of them now might be different.

Which brings me back to my frequent refrain that there's no substitute for an in-home audition...which tempts me to add the S2 to my ever-expanding list of speakers I'd love to home audition...which only increases my probability of death by irate wife over death by surging coronavirus. :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm not 100% confident about that opinion, since it was 2 years ago that I heard the S2, and at Ascend HQ...in a heavily treated room (which would be an acoustic nightmare otherwise, since it's a concrete and glass warehouse space) and powered by beefy, expensive-looking separates playing lossless FLAC. In my current room (carpeted but otherwise untreated) and on my low/mid-level Pioneer Elite receiver playing mostly streamed lossy music or the occasional CD, it's quite possible that my perception of them now might be different.

Which brings me back to my frequent refrain that there's no substitute for an in-home audition...which tempts me to the S2 to my ever-expanding list of speakers I'd love to home audition...which only increases my probability of death by irate wife over death by surging coronavirus. :D
From the user listening impressions that I've read, the Sierra 2-EX would be more on par with the Philharmonic BMR. Would love to see a shootout between those 2. Dave, himself, has told me they were similar sounding when he had the BMR's to listen to.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Right--you can ship me a pair. Why didn't I think of that.
*if* i buy a pair of the dbr 62's i might ship them to you for a listen first, if you want, then you could send them on to me..?... or maybe a different pair.. (like the bro3, if you want to listen to them)..

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Hahaha, you guys are a pack of devils sitting on my shoulder whispering in my ears!!!

Must...be...strong! :D
C'mon Zorba! It's only $10 to ship them back to Crutchfield. Heck, if you like them better than the BMRs, you could actually make a profit!

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I would just get a solid pre/pro and then add a miniDSP for Dirac.
Uhhh, the Anthem AVM 60 IS a pretty darned solid pre/pro, and there's no need for a miniDSP for Dirac...

·
Registered
568 Posts
*if* i buy a pair of the dbr 62's i might ship them to you for a listen first, if you want, then you could send them on to me..?... or maybe a different pair.. (like the bro3, if you want to listen to them)..
Well, I certainly would like to hear the 62's. I of course would pay the shipping to you. Thanks for the kind offer. Just let me know if you decide to go ahead.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Well, I certainly would like to hear the 62's. I of course would pay the shipping to you. Thanks for the kind offer. Just let me know if you decide to go ahead.
you bet Dennis .. it's not like you haven't been nice to me as well .. heads up though.. i'm moving soon (pending covid 19 issues ) .. and i don't want to jump into anything before i at least have my donny check in hand and have basically got the move thing squared away.. scheduled move for mid may , but i'm moving to low income subsidized housing where the office is closed right now.. so imo , nothing is "set" ... however when i get set *i will* get with you and we'll see if you still want a listen..if you do ,we are a go.. :)

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
From the user listening impressions that I've read, the Sierra 2-EX would be more on par with the Philharmonic BMR. Would love to see a shootout between those 2. Dave, himself, has told me they were similar sounding when he had the BMR's to listen to.
Okay apples to sort of apples...I haven't heard the 2-Ex, but my buddy Ray has the Sierra 2s and I have the Phil-BMR. We never got them together in the same room, Ray is retired and shortly after he bought these he moved to Arizona because of they health of his wife (iowa get freakin cold). So I know this isn't what Dave said, but we both felt the Sierra 2 and the Phil-BMR were very comparable, but again listening in two different rooms and not at the same time.

Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Okay apples to sort of apples...I haven't heard the 2-Ex, but my buddy Ray has the Sierra 2s and I have the Phil-BMR. We never got them together in the same room, Ray is retired and shortly after he bought these he moved to Arizona because of they health of his wife (iowa get freakin cold). So I know this isn't what Dave said, but we both felt the Sierra 2 and the Phil-BMR were very comparable, but again listening in two different rooms and not at the same time.
if he lives in Chandler he may have just sold those s2's...;).. and my sorry butt missed getting them..

681 - 700 of 796 Posts