AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have paradigm mini monitors v1, looking to upgrade and need help. These would sit on bookshelf just above the TV. For movie watching mostly. These also sit too close together for center channel, so I set the Yamaha v630 non-center which routes the center channel signal to the left and right main speakers. If the receiver sets the speakers to small, do I need to worry if the speakers are rear ported? I have an old paradigm PDR-10 (also need to upgrade). Room is 15x18x12 feet high. How do you know the bookshelf speakers can "fill the room with sound"? Thanks!

·
Registered
29,118 Posts

Quote:
How do you know the bookshelf speakers can "fill the room with sound"? Thanks!

The best way is plug them in and listen to them. If they can play loud enough without distorting or sounding bad then they'll do the trick. Do you not like the sound of your Mini Monitors?

Placing the rear ported speaker next to the rear wall can give you emphasized bass. IF it is too much either plug the port (a rolled up sock will do) or pull the speaker further from the wall.

If you are replacing your speakers how large can you go?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really need to stay with bookshelf size speakers. Mini monitors sound ok, but I leave the receiver on six channel entertainment setting, sending equal sound to each speaker including rears, if I set it to any other setting like DTS or Dolby, can hardly hear it, maybe because I have good boston acoustics in ceiling rears, so if only setting is six channel, no point in having all the DTS or Dolby coding? Made me wonder about these mini monitors? Would like to stay less than $400/pair.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really need to stay with bookshelf size speakers. Mini monitors sound ok, but I leave the receiver on six channel entertainment setting, sending equal sound to each speaker including rears, if I set it to any other setting like DTS or Dolby, can hardly hear it, maybe because I have good boston acoustics in ceiling rears, so if only setting is six channel, no point in having all the DTS or Dolby coding? Made me wonder about these mini monitors? Would like to stay less than $400/pair.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

1 - 6 of 6 Posts