AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Thanks for the list. Im leaning toward the Emotiva B1/C1 setup and am wondering about thier subs. Id like to step up to a 12" and was wondering if you'd recommend their sub or another brand.
HSU VTF-3 mk V, Rythmik F12, SVS PB-2000, Outlaw Ultra X-12, etc...

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
Thanks for the list. Im leaning toward the Emotiva B1/C1 setup and am wondering about thier subs. Id like to step up to a 12" and was wondering if you'd recommend their sub or another brand.
If you're referring to the $400 SE12 "Flex" sub, I think at that pricepoint the RSL Speedwoofer is likely the better sub for the same money, and it comes with free return shipping unlike the Emotiva.

If you mean the $700 S12 sub, I would recommend the $600 Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV12-F over that one.

However, in your 14 x 38' open space, I would suggest investing in the $900 Hsu VTF-3. If you watch a lot of blockbuster action movies...if not, the $600 ones would be fine.

There is zero need to match the brand of the sub(s) with the speakers, btw.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
65" Sony 900E, Onkyo TX-NR797, 5.1.4, RSL CG23 LCR, CG3 for surrounds and Atmos, Speedwoofer 10s
29 Posts
Lots and lots of good stuff out there, and at very reasonable prices these days.

Some to look into off the top of my head:

• Ascend 170SE/340SE = very dynamic and clear, excellent PTP
  • Chane A1.5/A2.4 = unfortunately these have been out of stock since June and you have to be very patient to wait for them to come back
  • Emotiva B1/C1/C2 = AMT tweeters, which imo provide the perfect balance of incredible treble extension/detail without any harshness or shrillness---best bang for the buck hands down even at regular prices
  • Hsu HB-1 / HC-1 = these are horns too, but with virtually zero risk of listening fatigue
  • HTD Level 3 = free return shipping makes these a great first-try choice, Kapton ribbon tweeters, front ported
  • Infinity Reference R162/R263/RC263 = best bang for the buck when on 60% off sale a couple times a year
  • JBL Studio 530 = when on sale for $300/pr also outstanding bargains, weakness is a puny "matching" center in the 520C so mismatched center is highly recommended
  • NHT SuperOnes = around $125 apiece on Amazon, a PTP champ, sealed cabinet, but also a weak "matching" center
  • RSL CG5/CG25 = front ported, high WAF, free return shipping, but not as strong PTP as others above
Hey Zorba, or anybody really, as I am still learning a lot of this as I go, when someone comments that a speaker is "power hungry" does that mean directly or indirectly that it needs a lot of power to make it "sound" better? or am I seeing this opposite of what it means....I am specifically talking about the HTD level 3's...someone listed "power hungry" as a con...just trying to wrap my head around some of the jargon associated with this hobby.

Because I may put those on my short list of trials since they offer free return shipping...

not trying to hi-jack the OP's thread...well yeah, for this quick instance. LOL

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
Hey Zorba, or anybody really, as I am still learning a lot of this as I go, when someone comments that a speaker is "power hungry" does that mean directly or indirectly that it needs a lot of power to make it "sound" better? or am I seeing this opposite of what it means....I am specifically talking about the HTD level 3's...someone listed "power hungry" as a con...just trying to wrap my head around some of the jargon associated with this hobby.
I've never heard anyone complain of the HTD L3 in those terms---and its sensitivity and impedance specs would make me skeptical of anyone who did unless they are a volume freak (and those folks do exist), but in any case the free return shipping makes it a no-brainer for you to find out for yourself.

Reactions: Nate S.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
There are some loudspeakers that sound better the louder they get. There are some that sound remarkably better at higher volumes. Not having listened to the L3 speakers, I don't know how they react.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
While I'm usually skeptical of any bookshelf speaker that claims 8 ohms (most dip to 4-6 ohms), the HTD Level Three uses a good-sized cabinet and woofer which should help sensitivity (though it's possible the 88 dB listed is in-room, not anechoic). In addition, many people describe the sound as slightly v-shaped which helps a speaker sound better at low volumes, so not the kind of speaker that needs to be cranked up to "get it going". I have no doubts that it has high power handling and likes to get loud, but I'm also skeptical that it really needs it to sound good.

That's about all I can say without having heard them.

·
Registered
65" Sony 900E, Onkyo TX-NR797, 5.1.4, RSL CG23 LCR, CG3 for surrounds and Atmos, Speedwoofer 10s
29 Posts
Makes sense...Especially with the fact that we never really have it loud when watching a movie, more like a comfortable loud, if you will, but never Obnoxious loud.
I’m definitely going to put them on my trial list...why the hell not. I want to make sure I get what suits my room and tastes. Kind of excited to hear a different kind of tweeter other than a dome.
Now I just figure out which ones to do first....

sorry OP, I’m out. Will start another thread should any more basic questions I may have in the future.

thanks gentlemen for helping me understand so more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got everything hooked up just in time to watch my Tigers play. Couldn't be happier. Honestly surprised how well this little 10" sub sounds in this large room. I can't wait until the VTF-2 gets here lol. Wanted to thank everyone for the speaker recommendations, they were greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
Got everything hooked up just in time to watch my Tigers play. Couldn't be happier. Honestly surprised how well this little 10" sub sounds in this large room. I can't wait until the VTF-2 gets here lol. Wanted to thank everyone for the speaker recommendations, they were greatly appreciated.
One small tip: I'd pull the C1 forward so that its front edge protrudes 1-3 inches in front of the front edge of the cabinet. And I'd put rubber doorstop wedges under it to tilt it upwards 15-30 degrees...will sound even better.

Enjoy! You did a great job with running the wire up to the B1s...I'm too lazy to do stuff like that, lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks man. Yes, I made sure the wire trays came out nice. If they were crooked it would drive me up the wall and it's all I'd think about. Sloppy wiring annoys the hell out of me

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
Enjoy! HT subs are the one place where size DOES matter. :D

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
414 Posts
View attachment 3047526

The VTF-2 MK5 finally showed up today after being on backorder. Holy Lord this thing is a beast. Pretty sure my neighbors can hear it when I have it cranked up lol. Wanted to thank everyone again for the speaker recommendations.
We need a new picture with the sub in place so we can see the full effect. Also, some of your impressions after watching a good movie. Thanks!

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
New sub filled the room with sound way better on the right side in that bay window.
Was it too boomy in the other corner, where the Klipsch is sitting?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Was it too boomy in the other corner, where the Klipsch is sitting?
Not boomy, the sound just wasn't as good while sitting on the sofa. Just to the left of where the small sub is is the entrance to the kitchen. The bass was louder if you walked in there than it was while sitting in front of the TV. I dont know if sound was bouncing off of the side of the entertainment center or what, but with it on the right side the bass through the entire living room sounds amazing.

To anyone on the fence about this sub, its badass. Im not an audiophile at all and would have never heard of either Hsu Research or Emotiva if not for this forum. Both have blown me away, not to mention saved me a bunch of money compared to the Klipsch speakers I was originally looking at.,

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You could even rotate the sub 90* so it doesn't stick out as much. It shouldn't alter the sound at all. Then get a second one. Then two more... lol

Reactions: onelochevy
21 - 40 of 40 Posts