AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookshelf speakers can't go on a bookshelf?

392 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jimmymit 
#1 ·
I'm looking for RCL and for the fronts I am trying to decide between towers and bookshelves.

I like the look of tower speakers but I have two concerns:

a) I already have a good sub (MartinLogan Grotto) so is it a waste to spend more for towers? Would good bookshelves sound the same as good towers in this 2.1 scenario?

b) Space is limited with my plans for a 60" tv and bookshelves on either side to please the wife. My thought was that I can squeeze in towers or simply place the bookshelf speakers on the book cases.

Is that an audio no-no?

Thank you!

#3 ·
If I understand your post correctly, you are looking for front speakers (L,C & R) in a home theater set-up. Whether or not you should get bookshelves or towers really depends on the speaker themselves. Generally speaking, you will lose some low end extension with bookshelves but your sub should fill in those frequencies very well. There are some bookshelves that have decent low end and sound very full. Paradigm Reference Studio 40's come to mind.

As to your second question. Most members will probably say that placing bookshelf speakers in a bookshelf is an audio no-no. I happen to believe that, while it can be an iffy proposition, it can be done. A lot depends on how solid your shelving is, how they're ported, etc. I have my Studio 20's resting on the base cabinet of a custom built-in wall unit. They're front ported and sit so the baffles are a tad forward of the edge of the cabinet. To me, they sound great. It could be that they might sound a bit better if they were on stands but we all have to make some compromises.

If you are inclined to go with bookshelves, the best thing to do, if feasible, is to find an audio dealer who will allow you to home demo a pair. Also, there are some companies that make bookshelf speakers that are designed specifically for bookshelves. Among them are PSB Custom Sound Series speakers. There are others. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.