AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best bookshelf speakers for this price range...?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There is about 149 threads here asking the same thing...Here is a quick list, and won't get into specifics, just look in this forum for reviews on each one.

PSB B25 $299.00/pr. - The best one, because it is on sale, and performs better than anything else at $300.00 or less. www.saturdayaudio.com

PSB B15 $229.00/pr. www.saturdayaudio.com

AV123 X-LS http://www.**********/products_produc...&product=111.1

Axiom M2v2 http://www.axiomaudio.com/bookshelfspeakers.html

Ascend HTM-200SE http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...00/htm200.html

SVS SBS-01 http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

Elemental Designs A3-5TC http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=94

I rarely recommend ID companies, but in the $300.00/pr. range you will probably not find a better deal, except for those PSB's.

Also, check offerings from Polk ( www.frys.com ), and Boston Acoustics.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, didn't realize it had been asked so much. :p Thank you for the suggestions.
Also, what do people around here think of Cambridge SoundWorks?

Why not recommend ID companies? Many of them blow away most of the stuff you find in stores - and their value simply can't be beat.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 /forum/post/12889505

Sorry, didn't realize it had been asked so much. :p Thank you for the suggestions.
Also, what do people around here think of Cambridge SoundWorks?

Why not recommend ID companies? Many of them blow away most of the stuff you find in stores - and their value simply can't be beat.

Didn't want to sound rude, but I have seen this type of thread being posted about 2 times per day, everyday.

Value is subjective, there are speakers on sale that are better than ID's, and offer better value. Also, you can buy from ID's, but what if you don't like how the speaker looks or sound? Will they refund all your money, or give you credit to get something else from them? Will they pay freight back? Will they charge a restocking fee?

There are very few ID's that will not charge restocking fee, and will pay freight back. Two of those are AV123 (only with their bookshelves), and Aperion. It is my understanding that AV123 will only give you "store credit"; double check this as I'm not sure.

Why their value cannot be beat??? Because they cut the middle man??? You need to double check the meaning of value.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio /forum/post/12891335

Didn't want to sound rude, but I have seen this type of thread being posted about 2 times per day, everyday.

Value is subjective, there are speakers on sale that are better than ID's, and offer better value. Also, you can buy from ID's, but what if you don't like how the speaker looks or sound? Will they refund all your money, or give you credit to get something else from them? Will they pay freight back? Will they charge a restocking fee?

There are very few ID's that will not charge restocking fee, and will pay freight back. Two of those are AV123 (only with their bookshelves), and Aperion. It is my understanding that AV123 will only give you "store credit"; double check this as I'm not sure.

Why their value cannot be beat??? Because they cut the middle man??? You need to double check the meaning of value.

Actually many of the ID's will cover shipping both ways. Some only one way. However, it is worth it to have the speakers in home to listen to. I recently did that with AV123 and Acculine. I highly recommend both companies. I decided on keeping the Acculines and AV123 paid the shipping for return. Both companies are great to work with as I am sure Aperion is also. I went to Best Buy and a few others stores locally and it is not the same to listen in a store versus your home. I highly recommend buying from and ID. I was heistant at first too but am glad I did. Paid much less for better speakers then what I could get at BB or CC.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It is my understanding that AV123 only pays shipping back when you audition one of their bookshelves, which is what the OP is looking for. But, not on their other products.

Anyways, it is just a matter of reading their policies, and talking to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
KEF iQ3 - AC4L.com

they are $350/pr right now, this site is amazing - I spoke with people at various positions after having some trouble with ozhometheater.com - purveyers of late model swan divas.

Anyways, the only way i know how to describe speaker performance is in terms of sound reproduction - how close are these speakers producing what the artist meant for us to hear.

These speakers have that in spades, I would pit them up against any speakers they have on any list on this site - I put them head to head against the PSB alphas and felt that for sonic reproduction - my only way to judge a speaker - the iQs blew them away.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just another option:

If I had $300 to spend on bookshelves right now, I would look at the Ascend CBM-170. It is a very highly regarded speaker and is on sale until May 19th (It is normally $350/pair.)

Jim

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/13853403

small bookshelf speakers are for children.

C'mon Raymond, don't start this up again. I'd give you my opinion of large Sony speakers, but we're not supposed to swear around here.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
This thread is nearly 5 months old. Since it was started, many manufacturers have increased their prices. The proper title might be: Best $350/400 Speakers.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I just spent $250 for a pair of KEF iQ1 (good price, eh!) and I am very happy with them

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/13855526

I just spent $250 for a pair of KEF iQ1 (good price, eh!) and I am very happy with them

Total agreement - those speakers sound amazing off-axis as well. Give the iQ series a listen, me and rick might be the only two rocking the iQs right now, but I am telling you they are worth a listen.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje /forum/post/13853653

C'mon Raymond, don't start this up again. I'd give you my opinion of large Sony speakers, but we're not supposed to swear around here.

I only bought the sony speakers because my soundesign speakers blew out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMHO you could also look at the Infinity Beta series 20's. They are running around $125/each, and are rated really high (I now own them). The only gripe is the size - they are pretty big bookshelf but have a nice kick.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/13855526

Great reading this! I am thinking of picking up a pair of these exact same ones to put as rear speakers in a 5.1 to 7.1 upgrade (240 for the pair!). I will be running them on a denon 2309 and the 5.1 set up is a Canton 120 MX mini-set ( http://www.canton.de/en-produktdetai...movie120mx.htm ). The canton's are staying, I like them, they may not be high-end by any means, but for my needs they rock. Diamond 9.1's are selling for 200/Pair right now too where I live.

The questions are:

Will the higher quality speakers (and larger, but same Watt handling capacities) outstrip the sound from the Canton boxes?

Will Audyssey compensate for this so that they all harmonize into a beautiful sound?

Thanks in advance for your input!

McStyvie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts