AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here obviously.

I've always been a downtown city dweller, so always condos with shared walls. Because of this I've never gone with high volume, high bass surround systems, etc, and thus am not well-researched on brands and the market in general.

I'm purchasing the Denon RCD-N7 bookshelf receiver. Most reviews say the suggested Denon speaker pair are not particularly nice, and fortunately are sold separately. It has 65w/channel output and I'm seeking a good bookshelf speaker pair in the $300 ballpark. My condo is higher end construction so on occasion I can enjoy some volume and bass, but recognize I'm better off adding a dedicated sub to fill the low end. System use covers classical, techno/dance, talk radio, sinatra/standards, top 40, etc. Broad range!

Any starting points or specific pair recommendations in that range would be greatly appreciated. I'm not inclined to pay in-store prices nor do I always feel the setups there are a fair comparison environment, so I'm looking to you experienced folks for solid advice.

Thanks!

-jeff

·
Registered
31,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illz /forum/post/20852005

It has 65w/channel output and I'm seeking a good bookshelf speaker pair in the $300 ballpark.

Try either Infinity Primus P163BK or Hsu Research HB-1mk2 . Both are around $300/pair (unless on sale), have good bass for a bookshelf speaker (below 50Hz), throw a wide soundstage with great imaging. Plus, they are sold individually, so if you want to get 3 of them for the front soundstage or buy 5 of them for consistency all around, then you don't have to break a pair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir, just the type of info I was looking for as I was not familiar with either of those lines, or even the HSU brand.

To shout my ignorance to the hills:

If a speaker's maximum power handling (150w/250w Infinity/HSU) is significantly greater than the power provided (65w peak from the N7), will the closer in spec provide a better quality sound? - One closer to the manufacturer's design intention? Thus suggesting, all else equal, the Infinity might be a wiser choice?

I don't know the effects of underdriving a speaker; I do realize the horn tweeter/mid of the HSU is probably the most relevant difference of the two.

·
Registered
31,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illz /forum/post/20852048

If a speaker's maximum power handling (150w/250w Infinity/HSU) is significantly greater than the power provided (65w peak from the N7), will the closer in spec provide a better quality sound?

Won't make a difference. Both speakers a fairly efficient, so a few watts will drive either one to deafening levels. As for "sound quality", that will come down to personal preference. I think Best Buy carries Infinity speakers, so you can get a listen there. Hsu has a 30 day return window, making it easy to audition at home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/20852094

Won't make a difference. Both speakers a fairly efficient, so a few watts will drive either one to deafening levels. As for "sound quality", that will come down to personal preference. I think Best Buy carries Infinity speakers, so you can get a listen there. Hsu has a 30 day return window, making it easy to audition at home.

Perfect. I'll wait a day for any other suggestions than buy em both and try them side by side.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illz /forum/post/20852110

Perfect. I'll wait a day for any other suggestions than buy em both and try them side by side.

Take a listen to the smaller PSB speakers like the Alpha B1 and Image B5.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Id throw out the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s, I don't know how they would sound with Techno, but Im sure pretty good. I know that Stereophile did a nice write up on them not to long ago. Im not sure if Kal above has listened to them or not, but they would be worth a listen also. I think Music Direct sells them online.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.