AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for relatively small bookshelf speakers for near field music playback. I will be using these as stereo speakers for my desktop computer, so size is a factor. The only substantial amount of review information I have been able to find is on Audioengine speakers. Just looking for the best sound in a small package. I already ruled out the very popular Audioengine 5 because of size and it has many reports of overheating issues on Amazon.com. I will probably purchase the Audioengine N22 amp to power whichever speakers I decide to buy. This small A/B Class amp will output 22W RMS.

I currently use two Klipsch Quintet II satellite speakers and a cheap Sony reciever for my desktop audio. The Klipsch Quintet II satellites only have a frequency response of 100hz-20khz, so they aren't the best for stereo use without a subwoofer. Also, the Sony reciever is huge and takes up a lot of space on my desk.

Give me your opinions on the speakers listed below or offer another brand that meets my criteria.

General Requirements:

Active or Passive

Approx Price Range: $200.00 - $400.00 (Per Pair)

Approx Size: 10"-H x 6"-W x 7"-D

Approx Freq Response: 55hz - 20khz

Choices So Far:
  1. Bamboo Audioengine P4 + Audioengine N22 Desktop Amp
  2. PSB Image B4
  3. Energy V-Mini or CB-20

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk02 /forum/post/19536864

General Requirements:

Active or Passive

Approx Price Range: $200.00 - $400.00 (Per Pair)

Approx Size: 10"-H x 6"-W x 7"-D

Approx Freq Response: 55hz - 20khz

Choices So Far:
  1. Bamboo Audioengine P4 + Audioengine N22 Desktop Amp
  2. PSB Image B4
  3. Energy V-Mini or CB-20

if you have the space for a CB-20, i would also consider the following:

PSB B15 or B25 - https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

Energy RC-10 - http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...05/energy-rc10

and one other thing - i would look like hell at local B&W dealers to see if they have a set of 685 demos/old-stock they're willing to make a deal on. from what i've heard, B&W recently switched to BB/Magnolia for US distribution, and i would think (but not know) that there are a lot of former small B/M dealers that MIGHT have stock on hand they wanna get rid of.

as for powered monitors...

since the amp you mentioned is around $200, if you bought powered monitors you could put that 200 towards increasing the speaker budget into the 400-600 range. i am NOT knowledgeable regarding powered studio monitors, except to say that they are specifically designed for near-field use, and in that price range you'll have a number of additional choices.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The size restrictions are a killer. I use EMP E41 on my desk which are amazing speakers but break the size restriction. I'm also skeptical of any claim that a speaker with a 4" mid-woofer is going to play flat down to 60hz with any authority. 100hz is far more realistic. I cross my E41s to the sub at 100hz.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can swing something in the size range of the EMP E41 (6-5/8" W x 11-5/8" H x 8-3/4" D). The size restrictions I mentioned are not exact just approximate; however, I dont want something 8" wide by 14" tall.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk02
I can swing something in the size range of the EMP E41 (6-5/8" W x 11-5/8" H x 8-3/4" D). The size restrictions I mentioned are not exact just approximate; however, I dont want something 8" wide by 14" tall.
You'll have to give some room for the port to work, and they need a sub but they are incredible. Here's a review with an optional tube amp.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I use PSB Alpha B1 myself, sitting on each side of my monitor, with the tweeter at ear level. No complaints whatsoever - except maybe lack of some bass extension, but then the same can be said of any small speaker. Currently they're powered by my AV amp's B outputs, but I've ordered a small tripath amp for them.

The Image B4 you listed certainly shouldn't be any worse than the Alpha B1, so it gets my recommendation. Which obviously doesn't mean the others can't be good too, but I'm not personally familiar with the brands so can't say one way or another.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like you've got some good options.

I have 2 RC-Minis (the predecessor of the V-Mini) hooked up to a Gizmo amp. Also have a Final Sound S-95 subwoofer from Outlaw Audio hooked up to Gizmo's fixed 100hz crossover. The whole package was a fantastic bargain, coming in around $350.

Some say the 100hz fixed crossover might not be quite high enough for RC-Minis - but in the two desktop systems I have I have listened to some sweeping subwoofer test tones and it sounds flat enough for my ears.

Have fun!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I received my Audioengine N22 amp yesterday, with a pair of Polk Audio RTi4 speakers. For source, I have a Logitech squeezebox touch via analog.

I set them up in my bedroom and think they sounded good, clean and balanced, however it is not able to reach the volume level I would like to listen to at times. I think it would be a great PC audio system. I'm considering moving it.

But before doing that... I have a pair of Monitor Audio RX1 as rear speakers in my 5.1 system, which I'll try with the Audioengine amp. I should not expect an improvement in volume because both speakers claim a 89 dB efficiency spec.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.