AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am remodeling my bedroom and am trying to find out how I want to set up my speakers. They will be going directly on either side of my new TCL 65R625. I don't have space to put them further out from it, they will be about 4" from either side.

The speakers are KEF Q100s.

I was debating mounting them in the wall(flush with the wall) on shelves. The back side of my wall is completely open. It is just an unfinished closet with no sheetrock. I am worried this would negatively impact performance. I am not sure how, but it seems everything does! Haha.

My other option is to make small oak shelves and mount them on either side of the TV, sticking out from the wall. I will already be making the desk and a bunch of other things so the cost is virtually 0.

I'm guessing the on wall mounting option is better. I'd like some opinions though!

·
Registered
792 Posts
In walls have come a long way, but I'm still a advocate of free standing speakers. Putting a speaker in the wall has inherent commitments and limitations. Boxes can easily be moved or replaced, but depending on how nit-picky (or compulsive) you are about tweaking, adjusting, and maximizing the sound your speakers are capable of, that just can't be done with in-walls. Regardless of how good the in-walls you select may be, placing them and how they sound in any given room is a crap shoot compared to the ability to move, adjust, replace, or upgrade conventional speakers. Also consider future furniture changes or rearranging your room and being limited by where in-wall speakers have been placed. I always think about my neighbor who spent $25K on just his in wall speakers, which were the best in wall install I've heard and seen. Less than 10 years later he spent the same amount of money to tear them out, replace drywall, and buy conventional speakers because as he admitted, his in walls just didn't sound as good as other surround sound systems in the neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The Q100 speakers are front-ported, so either using a small shelf or a regular speaker mount would be fine. You should not bury regular box speakers in a wall - the cabinets are designed for playing in a less-restrictive space.

Reactions: sdg4vfx

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In walls have come a long way, but I'm still a advocate of free standing speakers. Putting a speaker in the wall has inherent commitments and limitations. Boxes can easily be moved or replaced, but depending on how nit-picky (or compulsive) you are about tweaking, adjusting, and maximizing the sound your speakers are capable of, that just can't be done with in-walls. Regardless of how good the in-walls you select may be, placing them and how they sound in any given room is a crap shoot compared to the ability to move, adjust, replace, or upgrade conventional speakers. Also consider future furniture changes or rearranging your room and being limited by where in-wall speakers have been placed. I always think about my neighbor who spent $25K on just his in wall speakers, which were the best in wall install I've heard and seen. Less than 10 years later he spent the same amount of money to tear them out, replace drywall, and buy conventional speakers because as he admitted, his in walls just didn't sound as good as other surround sound systems in the neighborhood.

Thanks for all of the info! I have decided to keep them out of the wall haha.

Interesting! Will definitely consider it!

The Q100 speakers are front-ported, so either using a small shelf or a regular speaker mount would be fine. You should not bury regular box speakers in a wall - the cabinets are designed for playing in a less-restrictive space.

I am thinking about using the Monoprice mount listed above, but if I decide to build a shelf, I should be able to put the speaker backs right against the wall correct? Because they're front ported I assume the rear doesn't have to have space.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The Q100's should have a flush-to-wall mount already on the back. (The speakers come with rubber spacers that need to be attached to the backs if you use the wall mounts.)

The biggest downside to wall mounting them, vs stands, is that you can't toe them in if you want or need to (to control separation, imaging center point, etc.). But because they're front ported the fundamental sound quality won't be affected noticeably either way.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
In-walls are the best, but you'll need to have "do it once, do it right approach"

Which might not be possible if you are not experienced.
With on-walls you can use stands first close to the wall to find where to place them, and only them on-wall mount them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts