AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Download an SPL app to your smart phone and use it to level match after each switch. Set 1 pair at a time and remove any other speakers from the top of the cabinet. Listen to a variety of music for at least a few hours to a full day. Switch speakers and repeat the process. After a few days you'll know what you liked and disliked from each speaker.

Reactions: Leon O

·
Registered
21,757 Posts
Hi, I am planning to upgrade the L/C/R in my setup. Currently running SP-EBS73-LR (L/R) with SP-EC73 as center. I have ordered several pairs (Elac UB5, KEF Q150, KEF LS50, Q Acoustics Concept 20) and I am trying to do a fair comparison. I looking for a proper way to do the test including level matching with a pink noise tone and disabling the DSP of the receiver (Direct Mode). My receiver is a Marantz 7009. What would be the best practice?

A) Speakers A/B?
B) Speakers in Zone2?
C) Other solutions

A) I don't know how to do the level matching for speakers A and B in my receiver. I don't think is possible. So turning the volume up and down accordingly when speakers are switched is not very accurate.
B) I think this one is the best option. Independent volumes control for speakers connected to Main/Zone 2. Setting Main Zone in Direct Mode (No DSP) and Zone 2 doesn't do DSP so is Direct Mode by default.

Speakers Tested/Testing:

- KEF Q100
- KEF Q150
- ELAC UB5
- Pioneer SP-EBS73-LR
- Q Accoustics Concept 20
- KEF LS50

Please share your thoughts.
Thanks!
Invest in one of these:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8232

Or these:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8231

Us smartphone app to set individual volume controls which are then all controlled by the master volume control on the AVR.

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is an interesting array of loudspeakers, yoe00.

I'm curious: what is the size of your listening room? And could you describe the room acoustics? For example, I think I see tile flooring, drywall, and drapes in your photos. Does your listening room sound bright, echoey? Quiet? Neutral?

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
You'll be hard pressed to find a better sounding speaker for the money than the Hsu CCB 8's.

I couldn't find anything even close in regards to clarity and tone all the way up to 1000$ per speaker.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/ccb-8.html

RE: Testing, I just used an SPL meter from radio shack that I've had for years to level match speakers. My phone has an app and while it's not QUITE as accurate as the meter, it's close enough for a rough balance and fair comparison.

Also, remember, only listen to test tracks at volume levels you actually use... every demo I went to wanted to crank it up to max and that's just not how I listen. Most of them seemed annoyed that I wanted to listen to tracks I was familiar with and had a strong memory of multiple times instead of skimming all the various tracks once.

I wanted clarity and smooth tone at normal listening levels.

Sure, the CCB 8s can crank it up, but I was looking at the tone and clarity for HT and Music at levels I actually listen more than "OMG LOOK HOW LOUD I CAN MAKE THESE SPEAKERS GO"

Good luck!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts