AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planing on running speaker wire in-ceiling for 7.1 surround, but I'm not sure if it is ok to use bookshelf speakers mounted to a ceiling that's 9' (~2.75 meters). In that case, should I be using an atmos setup? Maybe I should be coming up through the floor instead?

When I look at the manual for my receiver, the read and side channels are always illustrated at about head-height for a seated adult. I've tried to google it, but no luck so far.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
I'm planing on running speaker wire in-ceiling for 7.1 surround, but I'm not sure if it is ok to use bookshelf speakers mounted to a ceiling that's 9' (~2.75 meters). In that case, should I be using an atmos setup? Maybe I should be coming up through the floor instead?

When I look at the manual for my receiver, the read and side channels are always illustrated at about head-height for a seated adult. I've tried to google it, but no luck so far.
So you don't want 5 speakers on the floor or on stands you want all in or on the ceiling?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you don't want 5 speakers on the floor or on stands you want all in or on the ceiling?
I don't have a problem with speakers on the floor on stands per se, but I do have a problem with speaker wire running on my floor.

I have bookshelf speakers for the rear and side surround channels, and I'd rather not buy in-ceiling speakers to replace them. Ideally, I could just mount my speakers on the ceiling and be done with it.

·
Registered
21,471 Posts
I don't have a problem with speakers on the floor on stands per se, but I do have a problem with speaker wire running on my floor.

I have bookshelf speakers for the rear and side surround channels, and I'd rather not buy in-ceiling speakers to replace them. Ideally, I could just mount my speakers on the ceiling and be done with it.
So your front three are at ear level when seated but you want the surrounds in ceiling.

That precludes atmos but, yes, bookshelves on mounts or something like this which is designed for on ceiling placement would work.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/prime-elevation?wiz_medium=cpc&wiz_source=google&wiz_campaign=760424595&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqj2BRBYEiwAqfzur8nOSEsSBgwQHDxJh8Uugc9yHwoexb08AONHywA_andhcvDkeDugyhoC8tUQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So your front three are at ear level when seated but you want the surrounds in ceiling.
Yes, though I'd say I want the surrounds on-ceiling, not in.

Thanks for the quick replies. I have some universal speaker mounts, so now that I know it's not incorrect to have the surrounds 6' higher than the front channels, I'll just use those.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
17,059 Posts
No Atmos if doing ceiling rear surrounds, kind of defeats the whole purpose of Atmos.

That said, some of us find Atmos to be grossly overhyped.

A compact sealed cabinet speaker like NHT SuperZeros (less than $70 apiece on Amazon) would work well for on-ceiling mounting.

Reactions: Carneiro

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A compact sealed cabinet speaker like NHT SuperZeros (less than $70 apiece on Amazon) would work well for on-ceiling mounting.
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that I should not go with the bookshelf speakers I already have, which came with the front and center channel speakers?

·
Registered
17,059 Posts
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that I should not go with the bookshelf speakers I already have, which came with the front and center channel speakers?
No, for your front 3, it doesn't matter. But for mounting surrounds flush against the ceiling, a sealed cabinet or front ported design is optimal. But if you have to use rear ported speakers on your ceiling it won't be the end of the world, since you can just use a high crossover point to avoid any boominess and there's likely very little mid-bass coming out of them anyway.

Reactions: Carneiro
1 - 10 of 10 Posts