AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with purchasing a pair of bookshelf speakers. Unfortunately, I don't have the room in my house right now for a pair of floor standing speakers or even a subwoofer. I've tested only a few models so far from B&W and Boston Acoustics and was not really impressed with the audio quality. Most especially, the low range performance, as expected, was poor. I was hoping for some help and a friend suggested I try this board (first time user here). Price is not necessarily a concern since I believe in quality first. I'm willing to pay upwards of $1K to get a good pair. I also would like to have the option of upgrading the system (i.e. add a subwoofer and use the bookshelf speakers with a stand as floor standing speakers). I'm hoping I can get some better direction here before I go out again to test speakers. I appreciate any advice you can provide. Thanks in advance.

Lions92

Maryland

·
Registered
507 Posts
For $1k, you've got plenty of options. Try looking at the KEF XQ1. The MSRP is over the $1K but you can find them closer to you budget using online dealers.

Stay tuned, I'm sure they'll be plenty of suggestions for you in the next day or so...

·
Registered
83 Posts
The GR-Research A/V-2s would be awesome...granted they may not go as low as something like a Quad 12L (another good one), but what they do they do really well.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Green Mountain Europas.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would vote to check out the ACI Emeralds, Von Schweikert VR-1's, and Quad 12L's...all of these speakers "street" for under 1k. Good luck with your decision! :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definitive Technology has a Power Monitor Series which are bookshelf speakers with built in powered subs. The 700 Series may fall within your specified budget range.

·
Premium Member
7,036 Posts
Hey Curtis:

RANT: About 8 years ago I spoke with Roy Johnson about the Green Mountain speakers. At the time he had no dealers on the east coast so I was ready to order a pair sight unseen. Since he didn't have a return policy, and wasn't gonna give me a break (I had to pay full retail) I decided to cancel my order. I wonder if he's developed a retail network beyond the west. If I recall, he was in Colorado. One of the reasons that the internet retailers have become so popular, is that a lot of the audiophile names can't be found in major American cities. Take Vandersteen. Boston is what..the 5th largest metro area in the US. No Vandersteen dealers. Closest one is 100 miles away, and he evidently doesn't stock anything. RANT OVER.

Thanks for the info :).

To the thread originator. Try the Axiom M22ti, Ascend 340's, Rocket RS200's, and if you can find them, Infinity Intermezzo on closeout (they should have the best bass, as they have a powered woofer).

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
hey Tony,

The website does state that there are dealers throughout the US now...so maybe things have changed.
http://www.greenmountainaudio.com

In the next couple of weeks, I will try and arrange for a listen to the Europa. JMSound is only a few minutes away, but I am not sure they are set up for demos.

·
Premium Member
7,036 Posts
I've emailed Green Mountain re whether they have any dealers in New England. I'm interested to see if they do. Go PATS!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Althought pricey, Proac Response 1SC's are a small bookshelf with very good extension. Overall they are my favorite bookshelf (monitor) speaker. For those with tube setups, they are also extremely "tube friendly". New they exceed $1k, but used they are usually available between $1000 and $1400.

Other options - ACI Sapphires, Totem Model 1's, RBH 61-SE, Onix Rocket RS250, Onix Ref's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.