AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 12(open to kitchen)x15x9. Sofa one foot way from rear wall.

Anthem D2v, Mcintosh MC205, JLf113(soon), Richard Grey and Zcable wires.

Current speakers, B&W: N805, HTM2, rears are LM1.

I'd like to upgrade all the speakers. (Open to other brands, open on the cost too). Prefer to stay with bookshelf, if possible, because of the room layout. The bookshelf is 30" from the floor. Shelf in inches is 20dx35Lx17h. Recommendations?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18224401

Great system! What is it about it that you wish were different?

Ron

Hi Ron,

I just upgraded the pre/pro, amp and the JLf113 will be here next week.

I'd like to upgrade the speakers. These B&W are now 4 generations old.

Wondering if anyone has compared the B&W805 to another bookshelf that might be better. (Besides upgrading to the B&W 805 diamond). Maybe a little more depth and slam in the mid bass, smoother on top, better imaging, soundstage...you know, all the stuff we think is over where the grass is greener. Heck, I may already have a green lawn. Just asking my fellow TH guys what's out here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
In addition to the diamond series I would make it a priority to listen to something from Spendor, Avalon Acoustics, and Aerial 5Bs.

Ron

·
Registered
634 Posts
Although I've never personally heard them, I've heard very good things regarding speakers from Usher Audio. But i believe dealers who carry their products are few and far between. Also, possibly look into Monitor Audio, either the GS or Platinum series depending on how much you want to spend. Lastly, Dynaudio seems to be a very solid brand that lots of people enjoy. I would also check them out.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Also, check out Focal. I'm sure there is a dealer somewhat close to you, they are a rather popular brand. They have quite a few different series to choose from, of which some would certainly be an upgrade for you
watch out though, some of their speakers get pretty big and might not fit in your area

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Ron, aquaphile.

Those seem nice.

I need to add, that what ever recommendations are given for the bookshelf, that brand needs to have a matching center.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfc_2002 /forum/post/18227337

Thank you Ron, aquaphile.

Those seem nice.

I need to add, that what ever recommendations are given for the bookshelf, that brand needs to have a matching center.

I don't see anything in this thread that doesn't have a matching center, did you, or are you just clarifying?

Ron

·
Registered
807 Posts
That setup is going to be really tough. In a shelf like that you're going to get diffraction artifacts out the wazoo. The biggest upgrade you could make (assuming it has to say in the shelf), is to use something that has controlled directivity. Specifically, something with a waveguide to limit dispersion would great cut down on the diffraction effects.

SP Technology, now called Aether I think ... makes a bookshelf with a large waveguide that would work well for you. They used to be called the Mini's, not sure what they call them now. But look them up on audiocircle.com and give Bob a call.

You could treat the interior flat surfaces of that shelf with rockwool panels, but you've have to make them yourself. Even thick felt would help somewhat. Bottom line is that's a tough environment for any speaker to perform well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I am going about this the wrong way.

Should I post a question, I need advise on room treatment, see photos.

Where would I post that question here on the forum.

Or

If I got floor monitors and placed them right up against the shelf, would that sound better then a bookshelf speaker in the situation I have now, or would I still have the same room problems. Too close to the back wall with the bookcase causing some of the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S /forum/post/18229191

That setup is going to be really tough. In a shelf like that you're going to get diffraction artifacts out the wazoo. The biggest upgrade you could make (assuming it has to say in the shelf), is to use something that has controlled directivity. Specifically, something with a waveguide to limit dispersion would great cut down on the diffraction effects.

SP Technology, now called Aether I think ... makes a bookshelf with a large waveguide that would work well for you. They used to be called the Mini's, not sure what they call them now. But look them up on audiocircle.com and give Bob a call.

You could treat the interior flat surfaces of that shelf with rockwool panels, but you've have to make them yourself. Even thick felt would help somewhat. Bottom line is that's a tough environment for any speaker to perform well.

The speaker fronts are out a bit from the front of the top shelves. It's all I could do.

Are you referring to the sound waves that are bounced off the rest of the room and come back into the cavity behind the speakers, then go forward again. Remember, there is on such thing as a dumb question. I love that expression, for I think I ask those dumb questions from time to time. Consider this one of those times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts