AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Looking for ideas as to what would be an improvement over my mirage omni60 bookshelf speakers. I am trying out a pair of focal chorus 806v speakers from music direct. So far there not really much of an improvement, a little bit, but not much, maybe because there new yet, they need some time to break in? Any thoughts what else under a grand that might be better? Thank-you.  
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
SVS Ultra bookshelves

NHT Classic 3's

Goldenear AON 2 or 3's

Ascend 340 SE

Monitor Audio silver Rx-1

Definitive Technology sm65's

JBL 520 or 580 ...I forget :/

Paradigm studio monitor 7 I think.

KEF LS50 if you can find it close to a grand...probably closer to $1500 but heard this speaker is amazing.

PSB imagine series

Aperion Versus Grand I think.

Dynaudio has some too that get great reviews but I forget the name.

Axiom M-22 but I don't hear many people throwing those around as a suggestion so dunno.


Those are all at a grand or around close to it. Good luck, and let us know what else you go with. If it were me and just 2.0 or 2.1 was how I'd run them, I'd at least listen to the sierra 1's because of the upgrade to sierra 2 later on when you can afford it...no other speaker company does that to my knowledge. I need smaller surrounds so this takes sierras off my list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79  /t/1521678/bookshelf-speakers-under-a-grand#post_24458528


JBL 520 or 580 ...I forget :/

That would be the JBL Studio 530
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Take a look at the Dali Zensor line. They get a lot of good reviews, so ask around on the onwer's forum to get opinions. The Zensor 3 has a 7" woofer and I think the Zensor 1 has a 5 1/4" woofer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
There are tons of bookshelf speakers under $1k worth looking at. Get out and listen to as many as possible as all of them have a personality. Don't forget ID brands like Axiom, Aperion, Ascend, SVS, etc. What kind of sound do you generally like? For example, do you like speakers with a smooth sound or edgy? How about laid back or forward (in your face)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Wow, a lot of ideas out there, the problem is that there's not many places to go and hear these, even though I live in the suburbs of Chicago. I did hear the goldenear aon3 at a dealer that where really good, great highs, good mids, and real nice bass, the only problem was, with tax they would be well over a grand, trying to keep this under a grand and if there was one thing I'd have to say bad about them was, they don't project out to well, but that's minor. Over all if they where a little cheaper I'd get them. I also did listen to the def tech bookshelf speakers at best buy $600.00 pr. It's almost hard to believe the same guy who makes the goldenear, makes these. What a difference! The def techs are definitely Not for me, sound seemed very sunken in, highs not good at all, very disappointing. A speaker that was kind of appealing was the martin logan motion15, a night and day more clearer, not sure though if these would be better than my focals? I listen to rock, soft, hard, Michael Buble to Metallica, Shinedown to CCR all kinds. I want the highs to sound like the real thing as much as possible, the sound to project out, not sunken in, midrange clean & clear, bass, well that's for my mirage prestine s10 sub to take over, around 60hz or so. I am running a denon 1913 receiver, a good middle of the road amp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeds  /t/1521678/bookshelf-speakers-under-a-grand#post_24462137


I listen to rock, soft, hard, Michael Buble to Metallica, Shinedown to CCR all kinds. I want the highs to sound like the real thing as much as possible, the sound to project out, not sunken in, midrange clean & clear, bass, well that's for my mirage prestine s10 sub to take over, around 60hz or so. I am running a denon 1913 receiver, a good middle of the road amp.

MB Quart does a real good job with a lot of that - I prefer them over the sound signature of Focal, the

new Definitive and some former Martin Logan speakers. The Vera line is crystal clear, and for sure will

expose the poor, nasty and ugly recordings. However when the source is good, they really shine.


However, no real way for you to audition them.


Enjoy the search and adventure.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
There are a bunch of places in Chicago to listen to speakers: Barret's, Simply Stereo, Saturday Audio Exchange, Decibel Audio (I haven't been there though), Chicago Audio, and so on. Do a google search to find stores near your area. Don't rule out pro-audio places like Guitar Center and Sam Ash, a lot of those will have great speakers on demo too. You might be surprised at how good studio speakers are compared to home audio speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeds  /t/1521678/bookshelf-speakers-under-a-grand#post_24462137


Wow, a lot of ideas out there, the problem is that there's not many places to go and hear these, even though I live in the suburbs of Chicago. I did hear the goldenear aon3 at a dealer that where really good, great highs, good mids, and real nice bass, the only problem was, with tax they would be well over a grand, trying to keep this under a grand and if there was one thing I'd have to say bad about them was, they don't project out to well, but that's minor. Over all if they where a little cheaper I'd get them. I also did listen to the def tech bookshelf speakers at best buy $600.00 pr. It's almost hard to believe the same guy who makes the goldenear, makes these. What a difference! The def techs are definitely Not for me, sound seemed very sunken in, highs not good at all, very disappointing. A speaker that was kind of appealing was the martin logan motion15, a night and day more clearer, not sure though if these would be better than my focals? I listen to rock, soft, hard, Michael Buble to Metallica, Shinedown to CCR all kinds. I want the highs to sound like the real thing as much as possible, the sound to project out, not sunken in, midrange clean & clear, bass, well that's for my mirage prestine s10 sub to take over, around 60hz or so. I am running a denon 1913 receiver, a good middle of the road amp.

Which Def Techs did you listen too? Based on the price I'm guessing the SM55's? Can you elaborate a bit more on teh GE Aon 3's not "projecting" out well. I'm kind of new to audio lingo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,284 Posts
Chicago has lots of places, to add to the list next level audio video and pro musica. I'm sure tyler at next level could get a pair if dynaudio dm2/6s for you to hear or even the excite x14.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The def techs are the 6" two way with a passive radiator on top, there 599.00 pair. By projecting out I'm saying the sound isn't pinpointed from the speakers playing. The speakers sound bigger than they are, hope that helps you a little bit. Just go to best buy or wherever and listen to different kinds, my friend who doesn't know anything about audio even said those def tech's sound like you got your hand over your mouth when playing! I think that sums that up pretty well, not to mention the highs aren't good either. My mirage are a lot better, the focals are starting to open up more, so there actually starting to sound even better yet, I'm sure just about any of the speakers these people mentioned on this post are a lot better too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I've been to simply stereo in Hoffman, I'm in Bartlett myself, also went to century electronics in c'vill,. I did go to napperville to hear the goldenears I liked a lot, just wish they were a little cheaper. I'll try google and see what else not to far away to check out. Any one have any thoughts on the martin logan motion15? I like the highs on them but not sure if they got enough bass to match up with my sub or not. Thanks again for the input.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
Also check out the Guitar Center in Arlington Heights, they have some good studio monitors up for demo last time I was there, in a treated room too. Don't bother with the one in Algonquin, they have monitors there but very poor demo environment. Check out the Sam Ash in Buffalo Grove.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,284 Posts
Next level audio is in Bartlett also , you don't have far to go to audition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01  /t/1521678/bookshelf-speakers-under-a-grand#post_24465733


Chicago has lots of places, to add to the list next level audio video and pro musica. I'm sure tyler at next level could get a pair if dynaudio dm2/6s for you to hear or even the excite x14.

+1 for dynaudio dm 2/6 , good for any kind of music, imo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I checked out that next level audio, didn't even know it's there, the only thing, is it's showing a house on map quest when I went to see where in Bartlett it is! That's alright, I got the number to call them wends.   Thanks for the tip!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Not sure what's up but called 2x wends. and left message, no response yet from him, do I need to email him at next level audio? Maybe he'll call back today, looks like he really got some nice stuff. Does he take trade ins?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top