Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at two brands of bookshelf speakers:

- Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000
http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...Monitor%201000

- Monitor Audio AUDIO R90HD
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/produc...d/your-speaker

The Definitive Technology speakers cost a little more.

My receiver is Denon AVR-3311CI. These speakers will be in my Zone 2 (stereo setting), in the kitchen on top of the upper cabinets. Space on top the cabinets is: Height: 16" Depth: 11"

Unfortunately, I cannot listen to the speakers before buying them. Looking at the specs below, is it possible to determine which pair of speakers is best?

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY PROMONITOR 1000

Dimensions: 10-7/8 H x 6-1/4 W x 6-1/2 D

| 15.9 x 16.5 x 27.6 cm

Driver Complement :

One 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter;

One 5-1/4" BDSS bass/midrange drivers;

One 5-1/4" pressure coupled bass radiator

Frequency Response : 42 Hz - 30 kHz

Impedance :Compatible with 8 Ohms outputs

Sensitivity :91 dB

Recommended Associated Amplifier Power :10 - 200 watts

A/V Receiver Crossover Setting :80 Hz

Inputs :One pair of 5 way binding posts

Available Finishes :Gloss Black; Gloss White

Packaging :One to a carton

Weight | Metric :6.5 lbs | 2.9 kg

Warranty :5 Years

MONITOR AUDIO R90HD

Frequency Response: 80 Hz - 35 KHz

Sensitivity ([email protected]): 87 dB

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms

Power Handling Single (RMS): 60 W

System Power Handling (RMS): 100 W

Recommended Amplifier Requirements: 10 - 100 W

Maximum SPL (dBA): 105

Bass Alignment: Bass reflex - rear ported

Drive Unit Complement: 1 x 100mm (4") MMP®II cone mid-bass driver.

1 x 25mm (1") C-CAM® gold dome tweeter

External Dimensions

(H x W x D): mm (inches) 198 x 125 x 140 mm

7 13/16 H x 4 15/16 W x 5 ½ D

Weight (each):

Kg (lbs) 2 (4 3/8)

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantor /forum/post/19582635

Looking at the specs below, is it possible to determine which pair of speakers is best?

Best SOUNDING?

No.

Speaker designs may have a lot in common between brands or models but none of it will describe the sound they make or, more importantly, your appreciation of the sound they make.

Speaker choices are subjective if sound is the criteria in choosing amongst them. If you chose by size or color of housing or overall appearance then you buy what you think looks good or what will fit or both.

That said, the first will have lower bass response and will play louder for any given application of power, but did you need to be told that? If so, it's OK. I'm one of those "There are no dumb questions" folks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, krs, for your input. Both pairs would fit and look oK. As far as best sound is concerned, I know that the only way to know which one I prefer is by listening to them. It's too bad that I can't.

Since, as you wrote, you are a "there is no dumb question" person, here is another question
:

The MONITOR AUDIO R90HD is a rear port speaker. Is that a plus compared to the Definitive Technology speaker? There would be about 9" to 10" of space between the speakers and the back wall.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Here's my $.02, for what that's worth. I'd go with the Definitive Technology speakers simply based on the lower bass extension. These are kitchen speakers... I can't imagine that you'd be doing a lot of critical listening. If I was choosing speakers for that environment (actually, I sort of am), I'd be less concerned about how well the speakers resolve the finer details, since I'm not likely to be all that involved in the music when I'm washing dishes, but I'd still want to hear the full range of the music. Those Monitors roll off at 80hz, and being a ported enclosure, the rolloff is going to be steep, so there's going to be very little bass content. That would bug me when I was washing the dishes.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantor /forum/post/19583133

The MONITOR AUDIO R90HD is a rear port speaker. Is that a plus compared to the Definitive Technology speaker? There would be about 9" to 10" of space between the speakers and the back wall.

I'd agree with Jim in choice but I think that rather than limit the bass the port would accentuate bass by reflection IF the design works. That design may have been used, in this case, to compensate for the limited range of the driver, while the passive driver in speaker "A" relieves pressure and radiates the existing bass notes forward. (I think)

Ported or not ported are different design philosophies but one is not better than the other. The engineer who designs any speaker makes his or her choices to achieve his desired result and those are elements used in the creation of the whole.

These thoughts are out of a limited understanding of speaker design usage and may be entirely incorrect. Nevertheless I'd still go with speaker "A" since it's less likely to become a nest for a field mouse (no access for the mouse).

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/19585356

In this case Definitive ProMonitor - nice bass for its size. Take the

42 hz spec with 3 or 4 grains of salt. They will still have some bass

below 80 hz

You mean..........speaker makers LIE!??!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs /forum/post/19582878

Best SOUNDING?

No.

Speaker designs may have a lot in common between brands or models but none of it will describe the sound they make or, more importantly, your appreciation of the sound they make.

Speaker choices are subjective if sound is the criteria in choosing amongst them. If you chose by size or color of housing or overall appearance then you buy what you think looks good or what will fit or both.

That said, the first will have lower bass response and will play louder for any given application of power, but did you need to be told that? If so, it's OK. I'm one of those "There are no dumb questions" folks.

Wow, have a little patience

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, all, for your replies.

I am leaning towards the Definite Technology speakers. I must admit though that I will miss the resident mouse poking its little head out of the rear port.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs /forum/post/19584742

I'd agree with Jim in choice but I think that rather than limit the bass the port would accentuate bass by reflection IF the design works. That design may have been used, in this case, to compensate for the limited range of the driver, while the passive driver in speaker "A" relieves pressure and radiates the existing bass notes forward. (I think)

Ported or not ported are different design philosophies but one is not better than the other. The engineer who designs any speaker makes his or her choices to achieve his desired result and those are elements used in the creation of the whole.

These thoughts are out of a limited understanding of speaker design usage and may be entirely incorrect. Nevertheless I'd still go with speaker "A" since it's less likely to become a nest for a field mouse (no access for the mouse).

You're pretty much on target. A lot of smaller speakers, especially less expensive ones aimed at the average consumer (i.e. not audiophiles) will help compensate for the lack of low end bass by using a high-Q ported tuning. This will provide a bump in output right before the sharp rolloff, which will give the average listener the impression of deep bass response. Another trick is to intentionally choose a speaker with high levels of 2nd order harmonic distortion... it also fools the listener into thinking he's hearing content an octave below where the energy actually is.

The result in the high Q tuning and the 2nd order distortion often is a boomy, 1-note wonder bass... the kind of bass you get from factory car stereo systems and from boom boxes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.