AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading my existing fronts and center (cerwin vega at-12's and a c-v center left over from a long ago time) for a couple of reasons: a hate the C-V muddiness, and my wife tells me the big boxes in our front room have to go. I use an Onkyo 595 for processing and a yamaha 6840 for transport. As the attached sketch of room and my placement plans show, I've got a nightmare of a room to work with. The room is moderately lively with hardwood floors and 10' ceilings.

My requirements (ie; the requirements given to me) are as follows:

-under $400 for a pair of fronts

-about the same size or smaller than paradigm mini-monitors

-must be able to handle 50/50 hometheater/music duties at least passably without a sub for a year or so (until I can sneak an SVS or HSU sub into the room)

-must be black

-available quality matched central channel

-must be able to handle some serious off-axis problems due to the set up of my room

-must be suitable for placing on a side table or wall-mounting as I have a 17month old boy who would quickly demolish a speaker on stands.

As far as an upgrade path, I am planning a dedicated hometheater in the near future, and I will want the ability to take the fronts I purchase now and move them to the rear, or at least to keep as fronts and add a good set of surrounds. In other words, 5.1 isn't going to happen right away, but is in the short-term plans.

I have a paradigm/totem dealer a five blocks from my home, and, all other things being equal, patronizing my local merchant gets the preference. I demoed the atoms/titans/mini's with the minis getting my listening preference in the showroom. Music on the setup will seldom be critical listening, but rather as background.

The ascend cbm 170's have been getting good reviews and appear to fit most of these requirements, but I am concerned the upgrade path is severely limited with their current product lines. I'm intrigued by the dahlquist and axiom lines, but a/b comparison is a pain to pull off with internet direct (hence the value of other people's input). DIY, while a nice fantasy is out of the picture due to time constraints and the likelihood I will create a strange, humpbacked eyesore in my room.

Anyone who has been confronted with/solved similar issues? Your input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
You have to do yourself a favor and find a way to compare the Ascends/Axioms to the Paradigms. Maybe someone in your area will chime in and allow you to listen to theirs.

As for the upgrade path, the CBM-170 works well as surrounds and fronts. Ascend is also coming out with a dedicated center soon too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

Always nice to hear from Manhattan Beach. I grew up in that area and my brother still lives there.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
SMRose....

Have your brother come listen to my Ascends and then he can tell you how great they sound. :D

I actually grew up in the PV area...but I love Manhattan Beach.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The Ascend Acoustics 170s I got for a secondary system replaced my Paradigm Mini-Monitors in the main system with in a few days of arriving at my house. They have wide sound stage and the new center channel is due anytime now. My two year old has dumped them off the stands twice without effect. I've filled the stands with sand and Velcro-ed the speakers on. She hasn't done it since.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sushi- I've had to take the m22i's out of the running simply for their height. Otherwise, they would have been at or near the top of my list to consider based on yours and others reviews of that line.

cschang, tex-amp and petiteface, how forgiving are the ascends at placement? I note they have a fairly good off-axis response on testing, how has that translated in your own experiences?

tex-amp: I may be going the velcro and buckshot route if I use a stand. My son was able to tip over a squat floorstander at about 8 months, so I'm not to optimistic about the long term survival rate of anything which is within his reach.

Anyone else have experience "child-proofing" speakers?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Question on the m22's. When being used as fronts, how do most people have them mounted (shelves, tables, wall units, etc). I was just wondering since they are rear ported.

I do have a large room, but I was thinking of the m22's over the larger m50's or 60's since I have a 9 month old that will shortly be walking and hence distroying floor standers.

thanks

Dave

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SMRose
cschang, tex-amp and petiteface, how forgiving are the ascends at placement? I note they have a fairly good off-axis response on testing, how has that translated in your own experiences?

Anyone else have experience "child-proofing" speakers?
I have had no off axis issues. My speaker locations are not optimal, but I think they are good. I'm happy sitting anywhere on the couch....and just about anywhere in the room.

I have kids that are 5 and 3 yrs old...but my speakers are up a little higher than optimum...about 45 inches for the LR, and 55 inches for the center.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Ascend has wall mount brackets available for the 170s. I don't have optimal placement due to a fireplace/WAF and it sounds fine. I've got an extra 7 feet of speaker wire on the left channel so I can pull it out and place it correctly when I really care. Since you have a young child, you most likely have realized that that has limited you to only a few times a year that you can watch a PG13 or R movie in the manner you had in mind with setting up your HT. So, mostly I get enhanced sound for Elmo, Dora, and sports for me. Less then 5 minutes of Harry Potter scared my two year old for days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tex-amp,

Which stands are you using for your CBM-170s?

I'm thinking of buying a pair of stands that Ascend has on their website. Are these the ones you have? Any comments?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I'm back at square one. I ordered the CBM-170's only to find out that they are experiencing delays. On the other hand, I found out that Aperion is located a couple of miles from me, so I may see if I can swing by to sample their wares.

Has anyone compared Aperion to Axiom's offerings in the same or similar range (M2i or M3ti, I assume)?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
I guess I'm back at square one. I ordered the CBM-170's only to find out that they are experiencing delays. On the other hand, I found out that Aperion is located a couple of miles from me, so I may see if I can swing by to sample their wares.

Has anyone compared Aperion to Axiom's offerings in the same or similar range (M2i or M3ti, I assume)?
Hmmm....I wonder if they are experiencing delays due to the fact they are working on getting their new center channel out.

Aperion also offers great deals on their open box stuff....if they have any.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was told by David F. that the delays were related to supply vendor problems. I assume from what he said that the issues were not related to production capacity.

He did say, however, that the new centers were likely to be out before the 170's.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
He did say, however, that the new centers were likely to be out before the 170's.
David seems like a great guy. I'm on the list for a new center!!! I have to figure out what to do with my extra CBM-170!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I could take a collection of everyone turning in one cbm-170 for an upgrade to a new center and have a system in no time...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.