AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much difference will there be between bookshelf and floor standing speakers with the same set of drivers? The floor standing speakers generally tend to be much more expensive than bookshelf speakers with identical sets of drivers, but how much difference in sound quality will there really be?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Usually the difference is in the low frequency extension. The floor standers offer more cabinet volume and should add significant bass response.

It would help if you identified the particular speaker sets your looking into.

As with all things audio, it isn't necessarily true that one design will be consistently better than the other. Bookshelf designs can be more controlled and when used with a sub really could be more pleasing than a matching set of floor standers.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Telek

I listened to B&W and loved their 602 s3 bookshelf speakers. the floor standers were definately better sounding but considerably more expensive. I found that not having a better pair right there to compare to I didn't notice the difference enough to justify the expense. You can't really go wrong with any of the brands you have mentioned.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I figured. Since I'm planning on adding in a subwoofer to the mix anyway does it really matter if the mains don't have their bass as defined? Is there any real advantage to having good bass out of the mains if you're going to have a sub anyway?

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telek /forum/post/0

That's what I figured. Since I'm planning on adding in a subwoofer to the mix anyway does it really matter if the mains don't have their bass as defined? Is there any real advantage to having good bass out of the mains if you're going to have a sub anyway?

Bookshelf + subwoofer is ok for HT. But for critical music listening, the crossover between the speaker and sub becomes an issue -- how can you measure and know it is a smooth transition? So floorstanding is inherently better.

But for a speaker engineer with all the tools/gear/knowledge/skill, I guess one can make it work ...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a good point avast, however I don't know if you need to be an engineer to find a good setup with a good crossover. Doesn't speakers from one manufacturer usually work well with their subs? Even if not then you can always experiment to see what sounds best.

Thanks wiggles, however one problem with a forum such as this is searching for non specific things returns 5000 hits, that's no joke. Certain threads alone have several thousand replies. And really I don't have that much time to spend culling the results, it's just easier to ask the specific question again
However I think I agree with you, for a specific price point I'll bet that a carefully chosen bookshelf+sub combo can outperform a lone floorstanding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts