AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I currently have an Energy RC-10 + Emotiva sub 4.1 system in the living room that I love and want to extend my Denon 1713's Zone 2 outputs to the kitchen. These will basically be "cooking" speakers and for the occasional party so they don't need to be super high end. I'll be running them full range since there won't be a sub for Zone 2.

I'd love to get another pair of RC-10s, but they're drying up. I'd also like to branch out a little. They're also pretty large speakers that might be hard to cleanly integrate into the kitchen.

I never thought i'd say it, but i'm looking at the Pioneer BS22s. Only $130, they're right down the street at Best Buy, and they have pretty great reviews. I'm also considering the Cambridge S30s which from what i gather are a superior speaker, but i doubt their low end without a sub being only a 4" driver. The pro to the S30s though would be their small size which would be much easier to fit cleanly into the kitchen.

So i guess that means i'd like physically small, full range, good sounding bookshelfs for under $200 along with some cake that i can eat too.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
The S30 will go down to 60 hz and is a good option - and I prefer it over the Pioneer

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the consensus is that the S30s are usable full range, then that's the jackpot for me. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
If you stretch your budget a little you can get the ascend CBM-170 , I think better than the ones you mentioned ,the only trade off is that they are not very appealing.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read a lot of good things about the Ascends. I just don't want to spend too much on a speaker that i won't be doing justice. These will probably sit on top of the fridge or a cabinet pretty unoptimally.

I also forgot the Infinity Primus. I had a 5.1 set with them 4-5 years ago and liked them. The 163s would offer some low end, but at the cost of size. It would push the budget a little. Maybe the 153s.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan  /t/1500091/bookshelfs-for-zone-2-under-200#post_23960431

The 163s would offer some low end, but at the cost of size. It would push the budget a little. Maybe the 153s.

The 153 does not have a lot of bass - the 163 also begins to roll off at 70 hz

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, so the S30s win again. I'll probably pull the trigger tonight if I don't hear of anything more compelling by then.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I was able to get a pair of Def Tech SM 450 for $179.00 from New Egg about one year ago...if you come across that deal, those are some good speakers at that price!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
+1 S30's if your budget is strict (I use them as bedroom speakers, no sub, and they're great.) If you can stretch the budget a little the ascend CBM-170's are a nice step up.

Both speakers are best-bang-for-the-buck at their respective price points

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I think that you already made the decision , this thread will end on the s30.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indeed, i just pulled the trigger. The fiancee appreciated their smaller size and is now going to build and paint special shelves for them.
Win!

Thanks all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts