AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people. I was told about this forum by a friend of mine from OCN, and apparently they know a lot about Audio here, so I decided to register.

I have around $150 to spend on speaker wire, bookshelf speakers, and an amp. I was originally going to buy a Klipsch Promedia 2.1, but Bass is not as important to me as good sounding mids and highs are since I listen to metal a lot.

On OCN, someone told me I should get a set of B652 speakers for $40 and a Lepai Tripath TA2020 amp for around $30. I was going to buy the refurbished DTA-100a on PE but I really don't like buying refurbished.

That comes out to around $70. I am really trying not to go above $120.

From what I have heard on OCN, the next step up from B652's are some Polk Audio speakers which are $80+, but I don't know which ones. Also, the Sony SS-B3000's look fantastic. They look like they have great reviews though! However, I was told that these are not very good compared to the B652's.

So what are my options under $120? Should I just stick to the Promedia 2.1, or buy speakers and an amp? I really need some help because I am a novice when it comes to audio!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I will be hooking these up to my PC and my Xbox with an Audio switch (I already have one). For PC, I just want good sound for metal, and for the Xbox I just want to hear in game sound. Soundstage isn't very important to me since I use my headphones when I play FPS games, the speakers are only for RPG in game sounds.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
I have the Tripath amp with some Jamo A340 speakers in my office at work

Does the job for me. I think the same amp and the parts express B652 would be pretty good. Also the Polk Monitor 30 @ $80/pr would satisfy your needs. Either one would be better than Promedia speakers on my opinion. Or check your local Craigslist for used speakers. Where do you live?

The B652 has a 6.5" woofer while the Monitor 30 has a 5.25" woofer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20877289

I have the Tripath amp with some Jamo A340 speakers in my office at work

Does the job for me. I think the same amp and the parts express B652 would be pretty good. Also the Polk Monitor 30 @ $80/pr would satisfy your needs. Either one would be better than Promedia speakers on my opinion. Or check your local Craigslist for used speakers. Where do you live?

The B652 has a 6.5" woofer while the Monitor 30 has a 5.25" woofer.

I live in Mountain View, CA, so like 15 minutes from San Jose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron /forum/post/20877288

Little midrange drivers like a 3" or 4" will not be able to handle the midbass or upper bass. Don't expect to turn it up very loud.

What do you mean not turn up very loud? Sorry, I am completely new to this stuff, I don't even know what a driver is. I basically want an amp which will be able to support the 2 bookshelves and also a cheap $100-150 subwoofer which I will get next year.

Also, which amp and bookshelves under $120 total would you recommend (preferably from Amazon or anywhere with local pickup in SF Bay Area) that will drive the speakers really well and also accomodate a subwoofer when I get one later?

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
The Tripath 2020 doesn't have a dedicated sub output. You'd have wire it through speaker level outputs and then connect the bookshelf speakers directly to the sub which is a little more work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20877387

The Tripath 2020 doesn't have a dedicated sub output. You'd have wire it through speaker level outputs and then connect the bookshelf speakers directly to the sub which is a little more work.

That's fine, I don't plan on getting a sub anytime soon. If I do get a sub, ill just buy a new amp later.

Also, I don't care if the amp doesn't get very loud. I'll be sitting like 2 feet away from the speakers since they are for my desktop, and nobody else will be listening to them.

Right now I am more interested in finding a pair of bookshelf speakers which will fit in my budget but have better sound that the B652's.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
You could buy this Onkyo 601 receiver for $75 and the B652 speakers and still be under your $120 budget.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/2569703044.html

Then you wouldn't need the Tripath amp or have to worry about getting something else later when you need to connect a sub. the Onkyo 601 has a dedicated subwoofer output.

Quote:
Right now I am more interested in finding a pair of bookshelf speakers which will fit in my budget but have better sound that the B652's

What is wrong with the sound of the 652's?

I like these Baby Advents too! I'd take those over the 652's if they're in good condition.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ele/2568839501.html

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
You can get the Onkyo TX-8255 from ShopOnkyo.com for under $100 shipped IF you join their 'club'. Match it up with a pair of those speakers from PartsExpress and you'd have a decent sounding setup. Nothing spectacular but you don't have a spectacular budget either. Good sound doesn't have to be expensive.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
I'd rather have the older Onkyo 601 since it has the subwoofer out and 3 optical inputs and one digital coax input.

The OP didn't mention how he was connecting his Xbox and PC so I assume some type of analog cables. But if he can take advantage of digital connections he should give himself that option.

the Stereo Onkyo 8255 has no digital inputs or subwoofer output.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.