AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Need recommendation:  which bookshelves (5 identical) for 5.1 music, room size 16 x 20, to go with SVS PB-2000 sub?  Budget $2000 - 3000.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would spend $2200 instead and buy a second PB-2000 with the rest. +1 to the Monitor Audio suggestion, the bigger woofer will help with dynamics, I would get three pairs of RX-2.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1524202/bookshelves-for-mch-music#post_24527086

Five Philharmonic Philharmonitors at $425 each.

Five Salk WOW1 at $600 each.

Five Ascend Sierra 1 at $425 ea (or add $150 each for NrT upgrade)

...and on and on and on.

What have you listened to and liked in the past?

Does salk & philharmonic give discounts when you purchase 5?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder  /t/1524202/bookshelves-for-mch-music#post_24527189

Does salk & philharmonic give discounts when you purchase 5?

Don't know - never asked them.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1524202/bookshelves-for-mch-music#post_24527201

Don't know - never asked them.

How did you come up with those prices then?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder  /t/1524202/bookshelves-for-mch-music#post_24527226

How did you come up with those prices then?

Price_per_pair / 2 = single unit price

Basic math

Since they are all custom built, they would happily sell 5 instead of just 2

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240  /t/1524202/bookshelves-for-mch-music#post_24527238

Price_per_pair / 2 = single unit price

Basic math

Since they are all custom built, they would happily sell 5 instead of just 2

My bad I miss read your original post and thought your pricing reflect per pair, but it's each speaker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well, I just listened to the speakers they had at the Magnolia room- Martin Logan, B&W, Def Tech.  Am impressed with the DT at the price point and am seriously considering the SM 55 or 65s across the board, but wanted to see what else was out there for same or a little more (5 SM65s go for 2,250 retail).  Since I only do this every decade or two, I'm wanting to be very satisfied for the next 5 years minimum.  Oh, and yeah, ano ther matching sub will be on the Christmas list. 

So far, I'm intrigued by the Ascend Sierra.  What about PSB Image or KEF Q300...?  3 days to D-day...

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I have heard good things about the SM65, I need to go listen to them at BB. I would say at your budget, the PSB Imagine series is probably more in play. A lot of people say the KEF Q100 is a better speaker, something about the bigger driver in the Q300 is not as clear. I would lean towards the R series though, they are a much better speaker. 3 pairs of R100 would be right at your top end, but from what I have read they are an incredible speaker.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Well guys, bad news:  I went over budget.  By 30 bucks!

Just ordered Ascend Sierra-2 for F/L/C and Sierra-1 for the rears.  I'm guessing I will prefer the 2s and so will eventually spring for the upgrade to outfit the 1s as 2s.  If for some reason, I don't care for the ribbon tweeter, I'll send the 2s back and get some more 1s.  Really looking forward to setting these puppies up and breaking them in along with the new PB-2000. 

I guess the only questions left are what to hang on the walls for surrounds for movies and what to consider for power (currently Denon 3805).

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Please tell us what you think of them... Especially the Sierra 1 vs the Sierra 2 in two-channel music! Thanks! Hope you like them

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2nature  /t/1524202/bookshelves-for-mch-music#post_24539281

Well guys, bad news:  I went over budget.  By 30 bucks!

Just ordered Ascend Sierra-2 for F/L/C and Sierra-1 for the rears.  I'm guessing I will prefer the 2s and so will eventually spring for the upgrade to outfit the 1s as 2s.  If for some reason, I don't care for the ribbon tweeter, I'll send the 2s back and get some more 1s.  Really looking forward to setting these puppies up and breaking them in along with the new PB-2000. 

I guess the only questions left are what to hang on the walls for surrounds for movies and what to consider for power (currently Denon 3805).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Congrats on the Sierra's, I'm looking forward to your impressions of them! What is your budget for surrounds and how many pairs; are you doing 5.1 or 7.1?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! I'm so "amped" for these speakers to show up, I'll be able to drive them by sticking the wires in my ears. As for the surrounds- I definitely will be going 7.1 and so I'll want two pair, matching each other, and of course compatible with the Sierra's. Budget is not a concern, since I will just get one pair for now, another later, with the best practical SQ attainable possible.

I started surfing around and came up with Mirage OMD-R, LSA OW, Axiom QS8, Monitor Audio. Also, SVS makes an interesting one, also switchable from bi to dual (they call it Duet)....but i need education here....please advise!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2nature  /t/1524202/bookshelves-for-mch-music#post_24548262

Thanks! I'm so "amped" for these speakers to show up, I'll be able to drive them by sticking the wires in my ears.

OMG

I'm sure you will enjoy them

Reactions: tdogroeder
1 - 18 of 18 Posts