AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,

I got this amp "Bewitch 6550" (30W triode / 60Wpc UL ) and i want to buy good bookshelf speakers, which would suit this amp and have nice warm sound. The music i listen to mostly is Blues (Dire Straits especially), Faithless, and Manu Chao but various others occationally (chumbawamba, Ska-P, Therion, Orbital). The budget is cca 600EUR (800 USD) for pair.

The speakers i was considering mostly:

- Klipsch RB 61 ii or RB 81 ii. (I am afraid of horn tweeter and harsh too bright sound. I want something relaxing)

- Magnat quantum 673

- Polk RTi A3 (too many people favor klipsch over these)

More i check, more i am getting lost. I prefer front bass-reflex, because speakers will hang on the wall or stay on cabinet.

Please advice me on those 3, or any others you think could do better job !.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have the same amp and I am also considering new bookshelf speakers.  the speakers I'm considering are the KEF Q300, Monitor RX1, and B&W 685.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

What kind of speakers you have now ? How do you like it at the moment ? I have finally chosen Polks but don't have them yet (maybe in 7 days). I will let you know my impression.  Your considerations of speakers look good, from what i've seen, i personally most like monitors, but cannot guarantee i would choose them finally, i would have to check lot of reviews first :)

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Warm is not a term usually associated with klipsch speakers! They tend to be called bright or forward!

·
Registered
7,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1495384/bookshelves-good-for-bew...agnat-quantum-or-something-else#post_23927338

Warm is not a term usually associated with klipsch speakers! They tend to be called bright or forward!
My experience with the Klipsch as well. For my ears they are too bright. But they are good speakers and a lot of people like them. But if you are looking for warmth then I would look else where (which I guess you did since you said you ordered the Polks).

I have the Polk RTi-a3s and enjoy them. I am using them as the wide channels in my HT. I think you should enjoy them.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I played Gary Moore on a pair of A3's today and they seem very suited for the blues. You could sit and listen to them for hours and not get tired.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I currently have a pair of Meadowlark Swift floorstanders that my wife hates.  The Monitor RX1 is the current front runner.  I've auditioned them against the KEF and B&W and they seemed the best to me, but I'm still not sure how they would work in my room with the amp.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
If you want a very well balanced bookshelf that is neutral and can play loud when necessary, I would recommend you consider the ascend acoustic cmt340! Excellent speaker...

EMPtek also makes some very good speakers for the money. Wouldn't call them warm, the strength of the Impression series is excellent midrange!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1495384/bookshelves-good-for-bew...agnat-quantum-or-something-else#post_23928846

If you want a very well balanced bookshelf that is neutral and can play loud when necessary, I would recommend you consider the ascend acoustic cmt340! Excellent speaker...

EMPtek also makes some very good speakers for the money. Wouldn't call them warm, the strength of the Impression series is excellent midrange!
Hmm.. really neutral one. More neutral than B&Ws for 12 000 $. But getting them to EU from US, it would be really a problem - delivery cost + customs... It seems not very well known producer, but i really like the specifications.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Just for this topic conclusion, if somebody gets here in the future, i got Polks RTi A3 maybe 2 weeks ago and had some time to listen to them. 

The speakers look very fancy. 

I was not very much impressed on the first hear, but after some time adapting, i realized, its probably better just in every aspect from my older speakers. The bass is deeper and tighter. The frequencies between 100-300 Hz not too overpowered, the music gets more space and deeper, but not overwhelming bass. Now after having these speakers, i am getting kind of allergic to these overpowered mid-low frequences and lack of deep low, which are present on virtually any cheaper audio set.

The speakers play really loud, in compare to old. On bewitch 6550 on triode mode (just 30 WPC),15-25% volume is what i usually listen on. 50% volume its already not just very loud, but getting too loud. So my worries about if its enough sensitive were useless. I do not miss any extra dB/W which Klipsch offers.

So overally, i am not amazed by them, but also not disappointed. Its a good speakers. I would rate 7-8 / 10

When i will pick speakers for my billiard room next year, i will probably try some others.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeCMD  /t/1495384/bookshelves-good-for-bew...agnat-quantum-or-something-else#post_24029644

Just for this topic conclusion, if somebody gets here in the future, i got Polks RTi A3 maybe 2 weeks ago and had some time to listen to them. 

The speakers look very fancy. 

I was not very much impressed on the first hear, but after some time adapting, i realized, its probably better just in every aspect from my older speakers. The bass is deeper and tighter. The frequencies between 100-300 Hz not too overpowered, the music gets more space and deeper, but not overwhelming bass. Now after having these speakers, i am getting kind of allergic to these overpowered mid-low frequences and lack of deep low, which are present on virtually any cheaper audio set.

The speakers play really loud, in compare to old. On bewitch 6550 on triode mode (just 30 WPC),15-25% volume is what i usually listen on. 50% volume its already not just very loud, but getting too loud. So my worries about if its enough sensitive were useless. I do not miss any extra dB/W which Klipsch offers.

So overally, i am not amazed by them, but also not disappointed. Its a good speakers. I would rate 7-8 / 10

When i will pick speakers for my billiard room next year, i will probably try some others.

I bet these will grow on you even more in the coming weeks. Please let us know if you like them more/less/same in a few more weeks. Happy listening.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts

Thanks for the feedback jane, keep it coming as you listen to them more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts