AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because there have been several full build threads, mine is going to cut to the chase and show more of the end, plus a couple little different things we did.

I am lucky enough to have a brother that is a crazy amazing carpenter. He’s built all my speakers in my system; all Adire kits. (He even built himself a set.) He’s always been up to the challenge of building cabinets for me, even when I change design plans as we go. This time around I was able to be onsite to help (mostly watch) the actual build. He lives in Ohio, I’m in Georgia, and so it makes it a bit of a pain. The fun part this time around was I was able to do the finish work. The one part that probably made it a longer build than most was because he wanted to pocket screw the entire cabinets. Yeah, he’s crazy like that. Only the interior slot port was nailed to the braces, otherwise it’s all pocket screws.

For 1 ½ yrs I’ve been without a sub due to moving out of my house. It was kinda hard to take an IB to a rental. LOL I finally decide to repurpose my Avalanche Audio 15” that were IBs into Marty subs and get my HT up and running again. 1 1/2yrs of TV speakers can about kill a HT enthusiast!!!!

Mine are pretty close to the Marty cube. The outside dimensions are 24 x 25.5 x 26 with a 38” port it netted me approx 6.6 cu ft which gives it an approx 20Hz tune.

You can see we used threaded inserts to mount the subs and we also flush mounted the banana plugs so as to prevent any damage when they are moved.

Thanks to @chalugadp and @LTD02 for input and advice!

And of course a HUGE thank you to my brother!!

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The chessboard

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wanted to say, I really liked the title of this thread.:)
LOL Thanks. I thought it was appropriate since one box is like a TNT box and one a chessboard.

Details of the design of the TNT box.
Obviously I used my last name. The name of the town is a little town I grew up in. 6 whole houses there! The weight is how much the drivers weigh.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
LOL Thanks. I thought it was appropriate since one box is like a TNT box and one a chessboard.

Details of the design of the TNT box.
Obviously I used my last name. The name of the town is a little town I grew up in. 6 whole houses there! The weight is how much the drivers weigh.
They look cool. Very artsy. nice work.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I really like those. I always enjoy the builds that venture outside the cookie cutter designs.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Those are going to be the start of the KAF thread! Although I appreciate the personal touch, my 7 yr old said they should say ACME on them!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are going to be the start of the KAF thread! Although I appreciate the personal touch, my 7 yr old said they should say ACME on them!
LOL Well here's the story behind the inspiration of that box. When I was 19 I was in a fireworks explosion and ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks with 3rd degree burns on my hands. A few years later my parents thought it would be funny to get me two of these at an estate sale. I've had them ever since. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after 16 months these two little subs finally made the trip from Columbus Ohio to Atlanta. It was an adventure to say the least. Short story, a 10 hrs trip turned into 14hrs, including major detour off I-75, and a broke down van that cost us an hour delay.

Today they are each in a corner with an Adcom GFA-555ii running them. It's what I had, it's what I'll use for a while. I haven't been able to tweak or EQ them. Initial impressions running them this way? Bigbadaboom for sure! Wow, these are fun to crank!! I am being careful to listen for any issues below the tune. Which was very apparent with Edge of Tomorrow. They weren't even cranked and I thought the drivers were going to shoot themselves across the room. Oops! LOL I plan on getting a MiniDSP and mic then I'll get them dialed in. They seem to be both in a good place as I've sat in various spots and the bass seems fairly even, better than I expected. I'm sure measuring them will show me the hot spots and weak spots.

Right now I'm enjoying a whole lot of shaking watching 'Oblivion'.

Even with all this great tactical bass, I'm considering doing 4 Infinity 12s for near field behind my couch. My landlord can help me with those.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! It was fun to come up with something different.

If the testing of the Infinitys gives you a good impression tomorrow, then I'll come up with something for those since they will be out in the open. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Man, I saw a link to this in another thread where you mentioned your unique builds. Hats off to you! Something more than just a black box.

Love the first one. I once posted an ad seeking out old speakers for DIY cigar box guitar amps, and a guy gave me a bunch of stuff including a small 8" in a blasting cap crate. Still can't get rid of it, stinky old thing, but it's too cool!

Look forward to seeing what the summer brings. Hopefully more projects like the ones above.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man, I saw a link to this in another thread where you mentioned your unique builds. Hats off to you! Something more than just a black box.

Love the first one. I once posted an ad seeking out old speakers for DIY cigar box guitar amps, and a guy gave me a bunch of stuff including a small 8" in a blasting cap crate. Still can't get rid of it, stinky old thing, but it's too cool!

Look forward to seeing what the summer brings. Hopefully more projects like the ones above.
Thanks. I really appreciate your kind words. Like I said I had fun coming up with it. I do have plans for the next sub that will be for music.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts