AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought we should start a thread on this one. I just picked it up but I'm on vacation away from my blu player
. I read Ralphs review and technical wise it seems like fox did a great job on it. I was a huge fan of the first one and got the steelbook sd. Only another 2 days till I can watch.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
I liked this movie, though the first one was better.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am a huge fan of the first movie, but not much of a fan of the sequel. I suppose I would say it's worth watching once, but don't set your expectations very high.

·
Registered
740 Posts
While I'm not a huge fan of digital copies, it's disappointing that Sony chose not to include one on this release (despite all their other recent new releases including them).

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
The image quality looks alot better on this one, i thought the image on the first was subpar, rented the second just to check it out, and while pq was really good, i thought it was even worse movie wise.

I ended up selling the first one, besides defoe's performance i thought alot of the scenes were somewhat lame, I think im in the minority though.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
After all the hype behind the original, I must say I thought it was rubbish when I finally purchased. Couldnt get any further than half way through. I'll be giving this sequal a wide berth. I probably shouldve listened to the commentaries for a laugh before I sold it though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I really liked the first, but the sequel was just horrible. The only thing worthy was the last 20 minutes but even that couldn't make up for the horrible dialogue and acting. Shame. Glad I rented first.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH /forum/post/18319182

After all the hype behind the original, I must say I thought it was rubbish when I finally purchased. Couldnt get any further than half way through. I'll be giving this sequal a wide berth. I probably shouldve listened to the commentaries for a laugh before I sold it though.

+1

I was nearly lynched when I told a group of friends I couldn't even finish the movie. I still don't get the appeal.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far I'm about 1/4 of the way through it and I can say I'm in a mix about this movie. The movie has a style of troy duffy but at the same time fall for classic hollywood sequel mistake of trying to implement new ideas that fail. Trying to fix something that isn't broke doesn't work in the movie world. I am really enjoying the addition of Clifton Collins Jr character. He cracks me up.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just finished the movie. Still at a mix. Half classic troy duffy half classic hollywood screw ups. I will agree with leem6453 as the last 20 minutes are the best as a whole I did enjoy this movie. Story was original and never really boring. Thinking about it this movie really caters to people who have seen the original. If you didn't you could still enjoy the movie but at times be lost with certain scenes. BD wise pic was good. Audio to me was very poor. I had to constantly adjust my volume. Dialogue was to low then when action happens it was extremely loud. Music sound track was great but felt forced on you as it played way to loud and overpowered the rest of the sound track and dialogue. This might be my system or room. Never had this bad of a volume mix though.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Oh man I did want to like this one, and I'm usually pretty forgiving. They should have never let Duffy touch the sequel. It was like watching an hour and a half of bad stand-up routine. Some things I enjoyed in it, but overall it was just bad.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Can someone tell me what was wrong with Sean Patrick Flannery? He looked like he got an extra strong dose of Botox. Between his crazy look and everything being a play on something that happened in the first movie I could barely sit through the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxias /forum/post/18348957

Can someone tell me what was wrong with Sean Patrick Flannery? He looked like he got an extra strong dose of Botox. Between his crazy look and everything being a play on something that happened in the first movie I could barely sit through the whole thing.

I just figured it was Mickey Rourke syndrome, it was very distracting.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) it was really funny at the end when the dad died, it looked like he was trying to cry but couldn't because of all the surgery

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbled /forum/post/18358189

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) it was really funny at the end when the dad died, it looked like he was trying to cry but couldn't because of all the surgery

LOL...too funny. He didn't look like the same person, my wife thought they had replaced him and I had to keep assuring her this wasnt' true. I recall seeing him on a USA show a couple of years ago (maybe the 4400?) and he was fairly wrinkly. That's why I figured Botox.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Has anyone had an issues with the subtitles on this one? They were going off the screen partway at the bottom on my setup. Using and Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray on an Epson projector.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts