Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and the occasional gal),

Has anyone had a chance to do a side by side comparison of the two R1 releases for Boondock Saints? I know that the Fox disc has more features (anamorphic, deleted scenes, commentary, etc.), but what I was really curious about was the running time. Fox lists their disc with a RT of 110min. while the Lion's Gate disc is apparently only 97min. long. Can anyone confirm that the Fox cut is longer? Is there any material on the Lion's Gate disc that doesn't appear in the Fox release?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
All I know is there are 2 versions. One version evidently was "too violent" for the MPAA, which resulted in the R version of the film. I've seen the unrated version of the film and I think it was close to 2 hours long, that might be the difference between the running times.

Pretty good movie, I'll never look at Willem Defoe the same way again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Apparently the Fox version is not anamorphic and is the same cut version as the Canadian version.:( I even read somwhere that it was the same transfer but that one I´m not sure of. I was about to buy it and have it in my flexicart at DV-depot but I doubt that I will bother now.

The Japanese version is anamorphic but lacks 5.1 sound but should be uncut, so I guess that is an option at least if you can play R2.

/Anders

·
Registered
714 Posts
Anwe, where do you get that info?

According to Amazon.com

Edition Details:

• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)

• Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen

• Commentary by writer and director Troy Duffy

• Deleted scenes

• Outtakes

• Widescreen anamorphic format

Release Information:

Studio: Twentieth Century Fox

Theatrical Release Date: January 1, 2000

DVD Release Date: May 21, 2002

Run Time: 110 minutes

Production Company: Twentieth Century Fox

Package Type: Keep Case

Aspect Ratio(s):

Widescreen anamorphic - 2.35:1

Discographic Information:

DVD Encoding: Region 1

Layers: Dual

Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)

Available subtitles: English, Spanish

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Anwe, where do you get that info?
The DV-depot forum among others. There is also a thread on the other not quite as hospitable hometheater forum.

Cinemaster wrote:
Quote:
I'm aware of that romant and before they announced the US-version I was tempted to actually buy it for the commentary. But IMO it's way to expensive to import the movie. But I hope you'll gonna share your thoughts about the Japanese edition when you get the disc.

So far I took a brief look at the US-disc and yes .. it's the same cut as the Canadian release.

Here is what writer/director Troy Duffy has to say:

Scene One: The rope

“Now this was forced to cut up… I did all this in slow motion… there was a bunch of cool stuff here but ….. of course the ratings board would not allow me to put it on the film … so if anybody gets the NC-17 version ….or maybe we can figure something out for this DVD or something …. You can see how I really meant it to be done.â€

Scene two : The restaurant

“I’m really upset about that one…it had some really cool camerawork on it … we cut it out because of the rating… you know almost every scene with violence in this movie.. period … every scene where there was blood and people being shot… the MPAA came down on me and said:’You have to cut this out’ … so even as if watching this R-rated version… and all the violent scenes … it is not what I meant to have happen… it was not what I wanted you all to see … and I did everything that I could… challenge the MPAA … got in an arbitration board.. it just didn’t work…. I got screwed .. sorry, man … I got totally screwed so I had to cut it or else nobody would be able to see my movie.â€

There are deleted scenes on the US-DVD (quality is below VHS). One of them shows the original ‘restaurant’ scene as it is also shown in the European versions.

And yes.. the DVD is non-anamorphic Widescreen.

More to follow.
I don´t get why we had to wait five months for this piece of #¤%&¤&! release since it seems it´s basically the same as the Canadian one.

This makes me mad has hell. I could swallow it a little bit easier if it at least would be uncut. I mean it´s not that uncommon for movies that was cut for theatrical release to be released unrated on DVD. They probably got lazy and couldn´t be bothered to do a new transfer.

I may be overreacting a bit but I was as happy as a grown man can be about a little tiny golden disc when I realized that the movie wasn´t canceled as was stated in December but would be released uncut in glorious anamorphic in May and then we get this.... well you get the idea. ;)'

/Anders

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anders said:
Quote:
I don´t get why we had to wait five months for this piece of #¤%&¤&! release since it seems it´s basically the same as the Canadian one.
Boy, that bites. So what's a good Web site to pick up the Japanese release? (I'm not trying to be sarcastic -- that's a legitimate question.)

Also, any word on whether the deleted scenes on the Fox version are ones that have never seen the light of day or just the cuts missing from the R-rated cut?

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can get it at CDJapan but it will cost you ~$32. It seems more and more worth it every day I think.:)

I believe your other question is answered above. One of the censored scenes is shown uncensored as part of the deleted scenes but in "VHS-quality"? Gah!

/Anders

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here is a quote from the dv-depot forum:
Quote:
Well, I've received the Japanese version, and took a peek last night:

The Packaging

OMG. it took me some time to find ANY english on the packaging. simply horrendous.

but, we're not here for the packaging, are we?

so on to the:

video/audio quality

The image is quite grainy, however since it's anamorphically enhanced, this is a very film-like presentation.

Nice, but a long way from reference quality.

The audio is only DD2.0 surround.

Nothing spectacular, but it's very clean, and all the voices are heard clearly.

(speaking of which, there are no english subtitles - that I could find - which makes listening to the heavy accents a bit of a drag)

Extras

there's a commentary, and a few featurettes.

Didn't have the time to check them out.

The menus are a mixed English/Japanese - which means some menu items are in english, and some in japanese - you have to select the menu to figure out what the hell this is.
I haven´t gotten around to order one yet. As far as I know the only one that´s anamorphic is the Japanese one.

I have the Swedish release and it is non-anamorphic and DD2.0 and is uncut as far as I can tell. It is not much to write home about....:(

/Anders

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What a rip!! I sold my canadian copy a while ago because I thought the U.S. release would be annamorphic. I would buy the region 2 if I had an all code player.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I haven't seen the film, but the comments regarding Dafoe's performance have me intrigued. I don't mind the 2.0 surround track, but $32 for a movie I haven't seen has me thinking twice about purchasing.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I really liked the movie. It was funny in the most anti-PC way. I can see how Dafoe got into the part. Some of these scenes had me howling with laughter. I would say if you liked Reservoir Dogs, you can handle the humor. But be careful if you're easily offended. Even though this is non-anamorphic, I am glad I bought it because the movie is that good - IMO. I may spring for the Japanese release.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I caved in and finally bought the Fox release of this movie. Not having seen it before, I don't know what I missed from the cut portions, but what I did see entertained me enormously! Reedus and Flanery were great as the crusading brothers and Willem Dafoe looked like he was having blast in his turn as the mean gay FBI agent. Even though I know Billy Connolly as a comedian, I had no problem believing him as the unstoppable El Duce.

( O/T: Isn't Billy Connolly Scottish? )

Did anyone else here enjoy the deleted scenes as much as I did? I thought the phone call from Mother McManus was priceless! I haven't watched the outtakes yet or turned on Duffy's commentary track but definitely will.

Really fun movie ... recommended for anyone who doesn't mind violence and a lot of cussing. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, I broke down too and I bought the Fox version. I had to see for myself, and it's a disgrace.....:(

I don't have my Swedish copy at home at the moment but if you look at the one uncensored scene that is in the extras you get the idea. They actually left the scene where the cat explodes untouched as far as I could tell. What were they thinking? Won't the seventeen year olds get upset that they shot a cat on camera?

I don't think the movie is that violent in the first place, I guess Troy Duffy really pissed someone off.:(

As a small reward to myself for wasting time and money on the US version I will get the Japanese disc. I suggest you do the same.

/Anders

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.