AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boosting Singal Strength?

203 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Bob Smith 
#1 ·
I currently have a Channelmaster 4248 antenna and 7775 preamp. I was wondering what I could purchase to boost my singal strength?

The preamp seems to 'steady' the signal but doesn't really boost it. I am also restricted to an indoor setup. Any input would be appreciated!

#2 ·
I'm assuming you mean by "steady the signal" you mean you don't get quite the dropouts you used to get.

Another amplifier will do you no good, unless you are using 300' or so of feedline or splitting it 8 ways. All it will do is cause overload, which results in more spurious signals (noise) into your STB, and more dropouts.

The only thing that can help at this point is more antenna gain. Gain before the preamp (better antenna) will improve the signal to noise ratio (less dropouts), gain after will do nothing. The 7775 preamp has about as low a noise figure as you can get, and enough gain to make up for a couple of hundred feet of coaxial cable.

Getting your antenna in a better position, or one with more gain is your best bet at this point.

Bob Smith

#4 ·
I'm sure there are. The important thing is "noise figure". look for something like 2.0 dB or less, the lower the better.

Gain is much less important, it only has to be high enough to get through the coaxial cable/splitters you are using, and maybe a few extra dB to improve the noise figure of the STB, anything over 20 dB is fine. Radio Shack amps usually have around a 6 dB noise figure

Bob Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.