AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if there is a way to increase the sound level out of two small 2 small speakers that I'm connecting to a 3.5 mm to RCA cable with the ends snipped off. The speakers are 20 W, 2 Ohm fender speakers im trying to turn into a set of portable unpowered ipod speakers. The speakers work when I solder them to the terminals but even at max audio level on the ipod, the sound output is lower than I think it should be. Included is a pic of the speaker and cable I'm using.

·
Registered
952 Posts
2 ohms is way too low of a load impedance for the typical amplifier headphone output to drive....and at best, you're only going to see ~2W of output anyway.

If you're looking for a battery powered portable solution with these speakers, then you need to get an amplifier between your headphone output and your speakers. You might be able to find something that you could power off the battery inside the ipod, but I don't know of anything off hand. You're also going to drain the battery very quickly...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.