AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some experimenting creating my own USB cable. I have my equipment remotely located about 50ft from my TV. I got an IR repeater which works beautifully using a Cat5 cable I strung back to the equipment.

I've been using a pretty much worthless IR keyboard / mouse combo. And want to switch to an Radio setup but too long a span to reach alone so I used remaining wires in cat5 cable from IR repeater to hot wire a USB cable.

I first experimented with a spare cat5 cable I had (a good at least 20ft long). It worked like a champ even for USB 2.0. Then I went forward and hot wired the USB ends to the remaining Cat 5 wires left over from my IR setup.

I have double and quadruple checked all the connections. They appear good, and I'm getting my 5V V- to V+ on the USB connector. Ground is also good. However, I think perhaps it's too long of a span for the data +/- lines (which I do use a twisted pair for). Unfortunately, there weren't enough wires left in the cat5 cable to do a differential signal (I had only 4 lines that would have required all 8). So it looks like I may need to boost the signal.

Does anybody know of a decent USB amp to use? I have heard rumors that a simple powered USB hub might also do the trick. They appear much cheaper than the signal boosters I look at. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah a simple USB extension cable won't work (unless I can snip the end and use the cable I already have in the wall). I don't want to string another wire. Just about broke my neck doing the first one... It's a real PITA

And I'm quite sure the extenders for CAT5 / adapters won't work as I'm guessing they convert to a double ended differential signal to make the span (this requires most all the wires in the cat5 cable).

I need something that simply boosts the D+ / D- signal so it can make the distance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know it's been some time since this thread was last responded to, but has it been resolved?

I'm trying to do something similar and have the exact problem. I am getting the +/-5V, but no +/- Data due to the length of the CAT5e cable I'm using and the range limitations of the USB Data signal. I purchased some USB to RJ45 dongles, but theses seem useless other than the fact that they provide a connector type conversion.

I'm not trying to transmit the signal as far as 50ft, I would say 30ft max. Does anyone know of something that will boost the USB Data and power signal up to 50ft?

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfhunter /forum/post/21997353

I'm not trying to transmit the signal as far as 50ft, I would say 30ft max. Does anyone know of something that will boost the USB Data and power signal up to 50ft?

You need a device to boost the signal. Either place a powered USB hub part way through your cable run (that is, get two 16 foot cables and hook a hub in between) or you need an Active USB Booster cable. Most of those are USB powered, so any device you attach to the other end may have power issues if it's high amperage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.