AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange problem, my SkyFi 2 does not get good reception inside the house with the home kit. Ok I used to have the original SkyFi and I got 3 blocks on the aiming meter, with the antenna inside the house on top of my A/V rack. With the SkyFi 2 nothing, then I ran the antenna outside on the patio and aimed it toward the southwest. After moving it around and adjusting the antenna for several mins., I am lucky to get one bar. Then if I turn the SkyFi2 off I have to go through it all again when I turn it on because of no signal, even though the antenna hasn't been moved. Then I can take my SkyFi2 straight out to the car and get full strength signal in the driveway.

Wasn't there a thread about a diagnostic menu on the SkyFi, SkyFi2?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Sounds like to me you might have a bad antenna(either the antenna, connection, or in the wire somewhere) since you said you had the original SkyFi, and had at least three/out of four bars all the time on the original unit. Actually is this the SAME antenna you used on the original SkyFi? It should work just fine. Or is it one that came with your new SkyFi?

Since the birds don't move in the sky with XM(unlike Sirius), you should have just been able to connect the new unit, without moving the antenna, and still receive the same 3 bar level.

This really does sound like a bad connector. It might even be on the new SkyFi unit, but hopefully it is the antenna.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same home kit and same car kit, when I upgraded to the SkyFi2 I just got the receiver since I already had the kits. I took the SkyFi2 over to my parents house, I gave them my old SkyFi unit. I put the SkyFi2 in there home kit and got full signal, satellite and terrestrial. Its a bummer I live just outside of the terrestrial reception area. Anyways I am still not sure whats going on, I think I am going to try a swap antennas and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.