AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I'm in process of planning a HTPC to replace the current 6 year old system which I should note achieved decent acceptance from wife/kids. One easy way to improve Acceptabne Factor (AF) further is boot speed - specifically boot speed out of Hibernate.

1. Current system:

P4 2.4 Ghz (overclock to 3.0 Ghz),

Supermicro MB,

Zalman CPNS 9500,

Seagate 160G HD,

512Mb DDR,

tweaked MS XP Pro (disable some services etc).

Gyration air mouse/kbd

- This manages to boot out of hibernate in 30 sec.

2. Planned system:

Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 Ghz,

4G Mem,

Gigabyte UD3P,

ATI 4xxx card,

OCZ Vertex 30 GB for MS Win 7 RC 32bit,

Western Digital HD for program executable (PDVD,TMT,etc.),

Other Western Digital HD(s) for media storage, Bluray ROM.

- Can this rig boot out of hibernate in 5 sec, including silenceable (whisper quiet fans) overclock ?

Cost is important but some tradeoff is ok. I figure this will cost about $600 since I will reuse the case/Power supply/mouse from the old rig.

Any suggestions for improvement ?

Thx

D

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Boot time and time to recover from sleep are completely different. It sounds like what you want is really to not hibernate but to use suspend with S3 state. That should come back very fast as the RAM is still powered up and you don't use the disk at all.

Then you wouldn't need to make any changes at all, at least not for this reason.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
My rigs resume from standby (I don't use Hibernate because standby is ~ the same power consumption) in

BB

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Also your new system has more ram which is going to slow down resume from hibernate, so I'd be surprised if it will be any faster. I agree with the above comments, find a motherboard that uses very little power is standby.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjyoti /forum/post/16982822

This manages to boot out of hibernate in 30 sec.

I have a feeling u don't mean hibernate, but standby. Hibernation typically takes as long as a cold boot.

Yes, limit your box to 1 drive, place the rest of storage in another box, server. With multiple drives, the machine has to wait until ALL drive comes up to speed. Some drives have a quick-boot tweak but not all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Thanks for the replies. I did forget to mention that I switch off my entire Home theater system when not in use. So hibernate is the only possible option now.

Regards

D

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjyoti /forum/post/16983365

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I did forget to mention that I switch off my entire Home theater system when not in use. So hibernate is the only possible option now.

Regards

D

That's a real bummer.

Your objectives are then: Quick Start Drive, Fastest Drive possible to reload whatever u need. A solid state boot/hibernate partition?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjyoti /forum/post/16983365

Hi

Regards

D

I think that's a bad way of doing things. Put the HTPC on a different power strip and keep it powered up. Noone here turns off the HTPC completely when not in use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going use an SSD (the OCZ Vetrex listed in my components).

Ok, looks like I've to explore the 'sleep' mode a bit here. It will be faster, I agree. I shutdown the entire system to be a bit green since the rig is mostly used over the weekend.

Is anyone using SSD drive for the OS ? Any stats on boot times ?

Thanks for replies.

D

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
It's likely your motherboard will take over 5 seconds to post from power off.

MP3Car.com forums seems to have the most information regarding speeding up boot times from power off, as they have to power off otherwise one ends up with a flat battery.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjyoti /forum/post/16984316

I'm going use an SSD (the OCZ Vetrex listed in my components).

Ok, looks like I've to explore the 'sleep' mode a bit here. It will be faster, I agree. I shutdown the entire system to be a bit green since the rig is mostly used over the weekend.

Is anyone using SSD drive for the OS ? Any stats on boot times ?

Thanks for replies.

D

This makes no sense. The computer on standby takes less than 1 watt of power. It's silly to think you are saving power by shutting down instead of staying in standby.

Booting up, even with an SSD will take more time than resuming from standby. Standby was designed to solve the problem you have!

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjyoti /forum/post/16984316

Ok, looks like I've to explore the 'sleep' mode a bit here.

Yes you do.

In another thread, we have actually measured what power a PC takes in different modes.

Are u aware even in hibernate, the PC take some standby power? (not totally zero).

I have measured standby S3 power on my box and it sucks 10 watts. When I shut down the box completely (Windows, Shut Down) guess what, the meter read 10 watts! (will vary somewhat with different PSUs)

So unless you ALSO pull the cord (I don't know whether this affects hibernate), ur being a little overly concerned for no reason.

But if yr only use your rig on weekends, then I WOULD shut it down. Boot it up from cold Friday night, then leave it on standby the rest of the weekend for convenience, and pull the cord sunday night. Once-a-week wait for boot time.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
There is a nice little program from the sticky thread.

http://slicksolutions.eu/

controls how the pc sleeps and what can wake it up.

works fantastic on my win7 system. the htpc does exactly what i want it to do, it wakes to record and update/optimize and goes back to sleep until i wake it up to watch something.

you can set it to go into what ever sleep mode you want. i use s3/hybrid.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you guys are right about S3 mode. No need to over-engineer the system for a fast boot up. And 2-3 second it would take to come out of sleep would be really cool with wife/kids. Heck, the TV takes 5+ seconds to show a picture.

Thanks for all the cogent reasoning.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjyoti /forum/post/16989455

I think you guys are right about S3 mode. No need to over-engineer the system for a fast boot up. And 2-3 second it would take to come out of sleep would be really cool with wife/kids. Heck, the TV takes 5+ seconds to show a picture.

Just make sure your motherboard has very low S3 state power consumption, and you also need to make sure all add-in cards support S3 state as well.

If you are really concerned with power consumption also check the power consumption under load and consider using onboard video.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjyoti /forum/post/16989455

Speaking of which, I can't take my HTPC out of sleep until both the TV and the AVR (Which the HDMI of my HTPC is routed through) are FULLY booted up.

If I do wake it up early, no picture is displayed, I have to put it back to sleep and wake it back up.

Frustrating!

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 /forum/post/16990774

Speaking of which, I can't take my HTPC out of sleep until both the TV and the AVR (Which the HDMI of my HTPC is routed through) are FULLY booted up.

If I do wake it up early, no picture is displayed, I have to put it back to sleep and wake it back up.

Frustrating!

So program your fancy remote to... TV ON, AVR ON, WAIT-5, HTPC ON.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts