AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being in Canada I used Borderfree for my Dell LT150 order on Thursday at 12:30 MT.

It seemed to go smooth, I quickly got a price back from Borderfree with the exchange and shipping added.

I confirmed the order and again quickly received notice it had been placed with Dell.

I was happy, very happy, until yesterday...

Seeing others who ordered at about the same time as I did getting delivery, or confirmation of delivery in progress, I called Borderfree. They were quick to check out the order, but said they had received confirmation but no order number.

They have attempted to call Dell but claim the mailbox is full, and only have one contact number. If they call other Dell numbers, they get bumped to Dell Canada.

Does anyone have a non 800 number for Dell?

Whats happened with other Borderfree users?

Whats happened with others who ordered on the Web but did not get a order number?

Help keep my LT150 dream alive!

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by JackLT (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
will Dell honour the warranty for us Canadians? The majority of the time when you purchase a product from the US and bring it here, the Manufacturers warranty becomes void. Dell MAY honour the warranty somehow but i feel it is imperative to know this fact in advance.

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

Monitor Audio Silver 5's, silver center and silver 3's(rears)

HSU VTF 2 subwoofer

Toshiba DVD/cd

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

Dalite High Contrast Da-mat 16:9 grey screen

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen motherboard, Radeon LE video and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
s>

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
We ship to Canada all the time. There are always duties put on the package by your government. Dell or the shipper have no control over this nor can they give you a number.

Make sure they do not use the word on the box as you will get hit hard.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The nice thing about Borderfree.com is they give you a quote including all taxes, exchange, and duties, etc. If you accept they guarantee that price and do not charge until they have the item in hand.

My LT150 came to $2905 CND everything included, express shipping.

That's the Borderfree advantage, you know in advance the full price. Otherwise, if you order direct from the US, you get hit with a unknown customs broker fees, exchange rates and duties.

So Borderfree seems to be the way to go but its not perfect...

They only can quote on items that can be ordered from the WEB, no phone orders. They are located in Toronto, which has presented issues in calling Dell US to check into my order. Everyone at Borderfree has been helpful, but I still await to hear my order number and ship date.

I mentioned about no borderfree phone orders to Jason at AVScience when I called about a screen, suggesting they add a 80x60 Dalite 2.8 to the online page.

·
Registered
505 Posts
FYI and FWIW: I received an "Acknowledgement of Receipt" e-mail when I placed the order over the web. The e-mail had the e-mail address of the assigned Dell Sales Rep. I e-mailed this person with my concerns over a non-filled web placed order and she responded within an hour saying that I would be contacted by a order processing person. I was soon contacted by this person with a order number and expected ship date of 7/30.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
807 Posts
For what it's worth, I contacted NEC and they told me that the warranty on a lt150 bought in the USA would be honoured in Canada. The NEC warranty on the web refers to Canada and the USA as well.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
well that's good enough for me to buy one but i wonder why Dell won't ship these LT150's to Canada or why Dell Canada wouldn't have a deal similar so we can take advantage of this also. Borderfree is a solution but time is/was a factor only to keep most of us out of luck.

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

HSU VTF 2 subwoofer

Toshiba DVD/cd

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen motherboard, Radeon LE video and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound
s>

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jack,

I also ordered the LT150 on Thursday thru Borderfree. I called them up today for status and they actually provided me with a Dell order number.

I just checked the Dell Order Status page, and mine is still in the "Delivery Prep" stage with no estimated ship date.

-John

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Please explain what this service is your talking about. Does it only work with items that have to be online.

Our problem is everytime we add an item to the store

I get a call from the manufacture telling us to remove it or list full retails pricing or call for pricing.

If we listed full retail knowone would buy from us. Its a no win so we have not put anymore effort into a online store.

Alan.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alan,

The web address for the service is www.borderfree.com

I believe I detailed the service correctly above, check the web page for full details.

I spoke with them today, and they said no phone orders, only items with a web order page.

I sense your frustration that you cannot post some prices.

Here you have the top home theater forum, with 100's of members and even more readers, most people do not want to call first for a price they like to see it posted.

Who ever gave Dell the deal, should have given it to you, maybe other reps will see if a good sale price is posted on AVScience you can deliver 100's of orders

Good Luck,

Jack.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hi Alan.

Here is a link if you want to check out the service - www.borderfree.com

They just need a URL to link to. This wouldn't have to be something that you would have to add to your store. I don't know how difficult it is to set up something like this.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: Borderfree was able to contact a Dell US representative. They have been dealing with the issue for some 2 hours, no word on the outcome.

The people at Borderfree are very helpful and quick to respond to my concerns.

The problem seems to be at Dell, where as many have noted, some online orders are confirmed, but then never see a order number.

I have a good feeling that Borderfree and Dell will work it out.

Will update as I hear from them...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's on its way...

Thanks to Borderfree for the extra effort they put in today to clear things up with Dell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Textc>

guys,

i work in the software and accessories division of Dell. We were selling these online only at the listed price at negative $600 margin, due to a marketing error. I am sorry to report that we are no longer honoring this price.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger:
We ship to Canada all the time
BorderFree was primarily setup to enable Canadians to purchase from US web sites that couldn't/wouldn't accept a Canadian shipping address and/or couldn't/wouldn't bill to a Canadian credit card - as is the case (shipping isssue at least) with Dell USA. If neither apply to AV Science then I don't see why anyone would need to use BorderFree to purchase from you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jack,

Did you get a verbal or email confirmation of your shipment from Borderfree? I just got an email from Borderfree this afternoon stating that they have had notification from Dell that my order has been shipped. But upon checking the order number on Dell's site, it still says that it's in the Delivery Prep stage with no estimated ship date. I also talked to a Dell customer rep several hours ago, and she didn't have a clue on why the order hasn't been shipped yet.....

If you have any other information on your order from Dell or Borderfree, please share it with us.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I spoke on the phone to Borderfree a few times today.

During the afternoon they were in contact with Dell for some time trying to sort the order out. In the end they sent an email indicating it was awaiting pickup and they would let me know when it crossed the border.

I wouldn't worry about using order numbers or tracking numbers. Many posts indicated that Dells order tracking is not correct with these projectors.

If Borderfree said Dell emailed that it shipped, I think you will soon count yourself in the low priced LT150 owner club!

Now its time to focus on a screen, cables, wireless keyboards, room setup, and most important explaining all this to my wife!

·
Registered
659 Posts
power,

Any items that I've purchased from the U.S in the past that require warranty are sent back to the U.S for warranty. The manufacture or dealer will always take care of it....in my case anyway.

Rick

------------------

The Home Theater

[This message has been edited by RickS (edited 07-25-2001).]

·
Registered
855 Posts
Jack - here is one sales rep contact info:

Cory Jeffcoat

DHS dellware sales Consultant

[email protected]

Sorry no number.

Here is another:

Micheal at 1-800-624-9897 ext 44737

You can pass this along to Borderfree and see if they can follow up for you.

Good Luck

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Rick,

i had no problems with my DTC 100 that i bought from the US, i sent it back for an exchange on a faulty unit. It would be wise to check with Dell if they would be willing to do this. It seems Dell Canada doesen't even list the item and one Canadian reported a $6k Canadian dealer cost ($3800) US, even if you could buy the LT150 at cost here, you can do the math, it's more than double. We Canadians like are toys too......sometimes it's just not fair.............. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

Serge

Parasound AVC 1800

B&K AV 5000 II

HSU VTF 2 subwoofer

Toshiba DVD/cd

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

RCA DTC 100

s>

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.