AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I get some suggestions for a border around a Parkland screen? I know that if I go the plywood route, I can just put regular wall borders, or some kind of stripping. But, If I go with a foam backing, which I'm considering, what could I use for that? I'm planning on using the the full height (4') of a 4' x 8' sheet. What could I do around this for a border?

· Registered
483 Posts
Depends if you want a raised border or not. Duvetyne tape from www.rosebrand.com may be a good option to put directly on the screen. If you want raised, you can make a frame out of poplar wood or mdf and mitre the corners...wrap that with duvetyne or velvet. You could even router the inner edges to have a nice transition to the screen.

HTH.

Simon

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sime,

I'm planning on going 96" to 100" diag. Don't think that I will have room for tape on the top and bottom. If I went the wood route, what would you do to lay it on. Would you literally just frame it around the screen on the wall? When you say route the edges, do you mean angle them in to match the thickness of the screen?

What do you think if I go a foam core board route? This isn't very thick, and with the screen size I'm looking at, not sure how I'd attach it to the screen (not much room).

· Registered
483 Posts
With respect to the wood route, are you talking about laying the parkland onto the wood, or the border to the wood?

If the former, people are using the parkland recommended adhesive, laying the sheet onto the wood, and then using a laminate roller to flatten the screen to the wood.

If the border is what you were asking about, I was going to attach the border on top of the screen and then glue/screw the border to the frame. Depending on the thickness of your backing material and the border, you could even router out a section of the backing so that the border wraps around the edges of the backing.....much like a picture frame is designed to hold the glass.

As to the border routing...you got it! Rather than havinga square edge for the screen side of the border, you could route it at an angle so as to avoid any shadows cast onto the screen (might be more prevalent with the square edge). I know that Dalite does this with their more expensive screen frames - aluminum.

Cheers,

Simon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.