AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for outdoor speakers for in-ground pool area adjacent to covered patio. Have looked at a lot of sites but still checking out what I can. Came across a deal on Bose 251's, a pair for $179 or $358 for 2 pair. Some speakers are better but for the price of these Bose 251's?

Keep looking of go for it? Have until Friday to decide.

"TIA"

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yamaha NS-AW350s will certainly sound better than those. Amazon has them for less than $90. Get both and return the ones you like less. Polk and Klipsch also have very popular models in that price range. I'm sure you'll attract some Bose bashing eventually so I'll leave that to others. Bose may or may not be a bad option, but a good deal it is not.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Does anyone know...does the Bose 251 come with a 5 1/4 midrange and a 5 1/4 woofer (or does it have a single 5 1/4 driver which acts as both a wooofer and midrange?)? IF so, are the two identical paper cone drivers? and again, if so, what makes one play lower than the other- I assume crossovers settings?

·
Registered
19,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk  /t/1415364/bose-251s-or#post_22128707

Does anyone know...does the Bose 251 come with a 5 1/4 midrange and a 5 1/4 woofer (or does it have a single 5 1/4 driver which acts as both a wooofer and midrange?)? IF so, are the two identical paper cone drivers? and again, if so, what makes one play lower than the other- I assume crossovers settings?

The 251 has one 5 1/4 inch woofer, and two 2 1/4 inch angled twiddlers (mids/highs).

The twiddlers, are angled to fire right and left. They claim that the twiddlers are full

range. There should be some type of high pass or low roll-off filter, for the twiddlers.

Twiddler, Glass composite material

Woofer, Polymer fiber composite material

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Thanks-here is how it is listed on one site (see link). Trying to fin out what is in a Bose speaker from Bose is about like trying to get the secret service to pay for "services"!

Components

Woofer Size: 5.25"

Woofer Material: Polymer Composite

Tweeter Size: 2.5"

Midrange Size: 5.25"
http://www.epinions.com/specs/_Bose_251_Environmental__617829

·
Registered
19,548 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts